Urgent Help required regarding CAF form submission

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mumsri123

Urgent Help required regarding CAF form submission

Post by mumsri123 »

Can anyone please help me urgently on what documents are required by council as address proof for CAF submission?? My situation is that I have moved into Langley in 2017 December as a paying guest. I have my name included on the Electricity bills and my DD is going to the primary school in Langley. I have not included on any council tax bills. Please let me know if this will become a problem when it comes to catchment consideration. Request for your suggestion/solution please.
Tinkers

Re: Urgent Help required regarding CAF form submission

Post by Tinkers »

It might be best to contact the LA as they will be able to give you a definitive answer as to what is and isn’t suitable evidence of address.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

As well as checking with the local authority on address evidence, check to see what the situation is with Council Tax. I thought everyone had to pay it, even if they are renting as a "paying guest" (which is an odd term to use - can you explain what that arrangement is?). The last thing you want is a backdated bill for unpaid tax that you should have been paying.
mumsri123

Post by mumsri123 »

Thanks for your responses. I have the voter registration with Slough since Dec 2017 and also I can get the school letter showcasing that we are living in this area for last one year. Also, I have Gas/Electricity bills and DL as the proof of address. Want to know if this is enough as a proof of address for Slough cancel. OR Council Tax bill is mandatory ??

I will check with council as well tomorrow. If someone can definitely confirm here what is required as address proof, much appreciated please.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

I think that what you have is probably sufficient, if your voter registration shows your current address, but do call them tomorrow to check.

Check your council tax situation, too. You may be liable for backdated council tax if you haven't been paying since you moved in. The only circumstances where a landlord is liable for council tax are:

The property is an HMO ( house in multiple occupation ), where multiple tenants rent their own private rooms, but share communal areas like the kitchen and bathroom. However, council tax is probably calculated into the rent payments.
The occupant / occupants are under 18
The occupants are asylum seekers
The occupants are staying temporarily and have another home somewhere else.
The property is a care home, hospital or refuge of some kind.
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

If you are a guest (implying another family own the house and are there with you), why are you on the electricity bill? Surely it cannot be purely to “prove” that you are living there for the purposes of school application? And why for one year? If you live in Langley, you live there, and presumably will stay here irrespective of the 11 plus outcome, won’t you...?
I do hope that you are not living in area purely to increase your DC’s chance of a place at Langley Grammar due to living in the local area, when really the rest of your family is based elsewhere. I’m afraid that’s what your post comes across as saying. Langley Grammar is a good school but until recently it has had quite a reputation locally for being the school with the highest proportion of over-tutored, out-of-area children who are still tutored up the school because the parents who are desperate for their kids to have “the best results” prioritise “achievement” over everything,
Apologies if this is not the case, but there are so many posters on this site who are posting to “game the system” and “maximise” their DCs chances, it makes one a bit cynical, especially those local who see children every year fall foul of the system because it is so skewed by parents trying to play the system.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Aethel wrote:If you are a guest (implying another family own the house and are there with you), why are you on the electricity bill? Surely it cannot be purely to “prove” that you are living there for the purposes of school application? And why for one year? If you live in Langley, you live there, and presumably will stay here irrespective of the 11 plus outcome, won’t you...?
I do hope that you are not living in area purely to increase your DC’s chance of a place at Langley Grammar due to living in the local area, when really the rest of your family is based elsewhere. I’m afraid that’s what your post comes across as saying. Langley Grammar is a good school but until recently it has had quite a reputation locally for being the school with the highest proportion of over-tutored, out-of-area children who are still tutored up the school because the parents who are desperate for their kids to have “the best results” prioritise “achievement” over everything,
Apologies if this is not the case, but there are so many posters on this site who are posting to “game the system” and “maximise” their DCs chances, it makes one a bit cynical, especially those local who see children every year fall foul of the system because it is so skewed by parents trying to play the system.
Arturo... how could you be so cynical :shock: :shock: :wink:
KatharineB

Post by KatharineB »

Aethel wrote:I do hope that you are not living in area purely to increase your DC’s chance of a place at Langley Grammar due to living in the local area, when really the rest of your family is based elsewhere. I’m afraid that’s what your post comes across as saying. Langley Grammar is a good school but until recently it has had quite a reputation locally for being the school with the highest proportion of over-tutored, out-of-area children who are still tutored up the school because the parents who are desperate for their kids to have “the best results” prioritise “achievement” over everything.
I'm one person with a DD who missed out on the option to go there by 1 mark. Personally I wouldnt dream of sending her to LGS anyway despite the 2 min walk as it had an uncaring vibe and passionless students at open evening. Their attitude to SENs was worrying too. Mine is thriving at a different Grammar. Being pupil premium eligible, we could never afford tuition and frankly felt it better to just do a bit at home.

My DD's old primary feeds many over tutored year 6s to LGS. Some that did pass were not expected to and are likely to struggle with Grammar expectations. I feel sorry for them having that stress put on them due to their parents need to have Grammar attached to the family name. They do not guarantee good teachers, friends, support or results.

Sorry I've gone a bit off topic. I would review your council tax situation asap. Forgive me for being a little suspicious too. Slough was in the papers just yesterday for some of its past 11+ cheating, which I'm not convinced is 100% solved by providing ID. I'm not sure how thoroughly they are checked.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... tests.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by KatharineB on Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
trimission

Post by trimission »

Aethel - thank you for addressing the elephant in the room/forum - I couldn't agree more with you.

The Slough council, the consortium and the schools are all very helpful in providing guidance on the process, if there's any doubt then in the first instance the non-tourists should contact them - particularly when the issue is personal.

As for the tourists...
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Aethel wrote:If you are a guest (implying another family own the house and are there with you), why are you on the electricity bill? Surely it cannot be purely to “prove” that you are living there for the purposes of school application? And why for one year? If you live in Langley, you live there, and presumably will stay here irrespective of the 11 plus outcome, won’t you...?
Well said Aethel.
Unfortunately I agree with Aethel. This rather looks like someone is trying to cheat the system and attempting to have all the required paperwork in time for 31st October!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now