BETHS Grammar School's Open Days

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
SwanLAND

BETHS Grammar School's Open Days

Post by SwanLAND »

For information only

Open Evening will take place from 5.00-8.00pm on Thursday 11 October. Mr Blyghton, Headteacher will be speaking at 5.30pm, 6.30pm and again at 7.30pm.

Our Open Mornings will take place from 9.30-11.45am on Tuesday 9, Wednesday 17 and Tuesday 30 October 2018 and Mr Blyghton, Headteacher will be speaking at 9.50am and again at 10.50am.
2childmum

Re: BETHS Grammar School's Open Days

Post by 2childmum »

My son was at Beths ( but under the old head) and really liked it there.

Best take note, though, that they get a bit snotty if you call it BETHS. It's Beths - as we were reminded by them on several occasions!
Ungratefulbiped

Post by Ungratefulbiped »

2childmum wrote:My son was at Beths ( but under the old head) and really liked it there.

Best take note, though, that they get a bit snotty if you call it BETHS. It's Beths - as we were reminded by them on several occasions!
I don't understand? One's not supposed to spell it or shout it? 8)
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

It's not written with all capitals because the letters no longer stand for anything. Originally it was Bexley Technical High School (so B.T.H.S, and it was known as BETHS). However, it became a grammar way back when, and so the letters no longer stand for Bexley Technical High School - so the name is now Beths (in the same way Bexley Grammar isn't BEXLEY Grammar)

The old head was very hot on it and would mention it at parents' events, prize giving etc. The new head may not be quite so touchy about it!
PeppermintCreams

Post by PeppermintCreams »

Fun fact - the E in the original BETHS stands for Erith, as the school started out as Erith Technical School in Holly Hill Road, Belvedere/Erith before moving to Bexley where it acquired the B. The old school building is still there but has been converted to flats. Belvedere Sport Club is located on their old sports grounds and holds a memorial to teachers and students who died during WW1. 8)
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

That's interesting - I must have dozed off a bit when the Erith part was mentioned!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now