Primary school advice

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Smelgie2018

Primary school advice

Post by Smelgie2018 »

Good evening, first post on this forum...

We are relocating to Rugby for work and to be closer to family and are targeting a move date of Christmas 2018. We have looked at houses in Bilton and Dunchurch and like both areas. Our daughter is in Y4 and we have been advised by her current school that she is 'gifted/talented/higher ability'.

We are trying to secure a school place and have tried Crescent School in Bilton (full), Dunchurch (full) and Cawston Grange (full).

We didn't look at Bilton Grange as it seemed geared towards boarders and independent school entrance. Please can I have some advice on which of the local schools in Rugby prepare children well for the 11+ exam?

Many thanks, any advice appreciated!
guest201

Re: Primary school advice

Post by guest201 »

None of the schools in Rugby will prepare the kids for 11+.
You will probably find the so called "best" primary schools are all full, Paddox and English Martyrs (both Hillmorton) Clifton, Dunchurch, and Cawston.
If you are relocating basing it on schools you should maybe look at secondary schools. If you take the grammar schools out of the equation then it is generally accepted that Ashlawn (Hillmorton) is the best secondary school, but it does have a very small catchment area now, I think it is about a 1 mile radius around the school.
My advice would be to look at Hillmorton, there are a couple of good primary schools and the best secondary school, as a back up in case the 11+ doesn't give the required result.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Are you looking at independant schools rather than state?
Olog08

Post by Olog08 »

I think Crescent is the only one which would 'prepare' children for 11+ as their demographic is such that they recognise many of their pupils will at least sit 11+ even if many of those who get a place at Grammar don't end up accepting them. They have also gained lots of pupils in Y4 from Bilton Grange as it is seen as a guaranteed route to Princethorpe College and compounded by the fact that Rugby School no longer offers entry at 11+.

PP is right State Primaries aren't allowed to promote or prepare for 11+ so many will go down the private tuition route. So if you are going for state it's more a case of seeing where the Council have spaces available in your year group.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now