UCAS applications for 2019 entry - OCR FSMQ Add Maths

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

PurpleDuck

UCAS applications for 2019 entry - OCR FSMQ Add Maths

Post by PurpleDuck »

Apologies if this has been discussed already but I can't find an answer I'm looking for...

I'm not sure whether the OCR FSMQ Additional Maths needs to be listed on an UCAS application. I did some Googling and understood that it must be disclosed or it can cause a problem. DS asked one of the 6th form staff today whether he needs to list his Add Maths and was told 'it's up to you'.

He did his GCSE maths a year early and got A* and is predicted an A in maths for A levels. Unfortunately, he didn't do quite as well with the OCR Add Maths so is worried about 'spoiling' his UCAS form. He had a chat with a few friends at school and those who didn't get top grades said they were going to leave it out.

Could anyone please shed some light on this? Does the OCR FSMQ Add Maths have to be listed on the UCAS form? Can a low grade prevent someone from getting an offer, even if they have strong GCSE and A level grades? What would happen if it is not included on the UCAS form?

Many thanks in advance. :)
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Tinkers

Re: UCAS applications for 2019 entry - OCR FSMQ Add Maths

Post by Tinkers »

I’m no expert in these things but since everything is electronic these days I don’t think you could successfully hide it. I’m not sure what the rules are about exchange of data between the exam boards, UCAS and the unis though.
I believe you have to put down everything, regardless of whether you don’t like the result or it might look bad.

Can the lower performance be explained? Either in the PS or the School reference.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Tinkers wrote:I’m no expert in these things but since everything is electronic these days I don’t think you could successfully hide it. I’m not sure what the rules are about exchange of data between the exam boards, UCAS and the unis though.
I believe you have to put down everything, regardless of whether you don’t like the result or it might look bad.

Can the lower performance be explained? Either in the PS or the School reference.
Thank you, Tinkers, that's my thinking, too... To be honest, I'm a bit surprised about the school's 'it's up to you' advice. Unfortunately, the only explanation for the low performance is DS dropping the ball. In his mind, the Maths GCSE was done and dusted, he focused on his remaining GCSEs, Add Maths was his last exam and he didn't even think it mattered that much. He thought it was just a time filler and something to give him a head start with maths in 6th form; unfortunately, I didn't know any better to tell him otherwise... Not really something he would want to expand on in his PS!
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

He must declare ALL qualifications or the application can be considered fraudulent. They will see he did maths early [date and format of grade] and wonder what he did in Year 11. All qualifications can be cross-referenced through the ULN.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Guest55 wrote:He must declare ALL qualifications or the application can be considered fraudulent. They will see he did maths early [date and format of grade] and wonder what he did in Year 11. All qualifications can be cross-referenced through the ULN.
Thank you, Guest55.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

https://www.ucas.com/about-us/policies/ ... eclaration" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"If we, or a university or college, have any reason to believe that you or your referee have:
* left out any relevant information, including qualifications you have completed, qualifications with an unsuccessful grade or qualifications for which you are still awaiting results
* given false or misleading information

we may take any necessary steps to check with you and other parties, including universities, colleges and examination and awarding bodies whether the information you have provided is accurate or complete.

We have the right to cancel your application without refunding your application fee if we determine (having carried out any necessary checks), or have reasonable belief, that your application contains false information."
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Thank you again, @Guest55, super helpful as always! :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

May I suggest he points this link out to the teacher and, more importantly, to any friends who plan to leave out the FSMQ. A weaker grade will not 'spoil' the application.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Guest55 wrote:May I suggest he points this link out to the teacher and, more importantly, to any friends who plan to leave out the FSMQ. A weaker grade will not 'spoil' the application.
That's a very good idea. I'll email the link to the teacher myself and will leave it with DS to circulate among his friends. :D
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Quite worrying that 6th form staff are giving that advice! They should know better - UCAS and unis are very hot on checking information, including running it through plagerising software...never good to lie by omission.