Non-selective alternatives in Rugby

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Seraphina

Non-selective alternatives in Rugby

Post by Seraphina »

Advice sought from those with children at non-selective schools in Rugby:

We are waiting for our daughter's 11+ results, and have visited all the high schools in Rugby, so that she has an alternative, should her 11+ result not be high enough.

Can any parents of children at non-selective schools offer insight into how (and if) the school 'streams' children, or puts them into sets? At the open evenings, the schools indicated that this happens, but I want to make sure!

At the moment my daughter is frustrated at other children being disruptive in class - in reality, does this also tend to happen in high schools?
kenyancowgirl

Re: Non-selective alternatives in Rugby

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I hate to say it, but *shock, horror* it can happen in grammar school’s too. They are not magic schools - some of the most disruptive “naughty” children are those who are bright (and, often, bored).....
sportsforall

Post by sportsforall »

It's not perfect at RHS. DD yesterday reported that a Y9 had threatened to beat up a Y7. I am not complaining, just agreeing with KCG that it isn't all unicorns and rainbows in any school.
Seraphina

Post by Seraphina »

I know - went to RHS myself, although is was 30-odd years ago! My daughter gets bored at primary school, although in the last couple of years they have tended to give her and others work targeted more at their ability. I just don't want to see her coasting in high school.
WarwickshireOzzie

Post by WarwickshireOzzie »

If schools are telling you they stream, then I’m surprised you are doubting them!

As far as I know, (both my husband and I teach in Warwickshire schools) all secondary schools in Rugby stream, at least for core subjects. Quite a few schools do tests at the start of Y7 and stream using those results rather than using KS2 SATs scores.

There are always some behaviour issues in secondary schools - let’s face it, put 30 teenagers in a room and it’s not all going to be smooth sailing. One thing worth doing is visiting schools when the kids are there and seeing the types of relationship staff and pupils have, (look in the windows of classes you aren’t shown into as well) and ask how behaviour is managed.
Seraphina

Post by Seraphina »

Thanks WarwickshireOzzie that’s great advice. Think I will make a couple of appts to visit schools in the next week or so.
guest246

Post by guest246 »

The best school I can suggest is Ashlawn? I mean I guess you get the best of both worlds - it has the best grammar stream in terms of results apparently and the best non-selective stream in Rugby
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now