KES Exam 2019 Entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bluejay

KES Exam 2019 Entry

Post by bluejay »

Well, this is it, hoping all the boys give it their best.

We dropped him off and we were in and out within a few minutes. As always, KES were organised, there was one way in and back out via Bristol Road.
The yellow letter slip we were given stated some boys will be interviewed from 5th November onwards.
Fingers crossed.
halsea

Re: KES Exam 2019 Entry

Post by halsea »

Wishing your son lots of luck! My daughters was yesterday and they were ready about 15 minutes before they said for collection.
Skylark

Post by Skylark »

Bluejay, all the best to them all indeed :D.

My husband took him this morning and he was very impressed with the drop off. KES is very organised. I have loved how approachable they have been. My husband did bring back a yellow slip, seems they will interview some boys between 5th and 30th of November.

I hope it is all going well. Keep looking at the timetable and seems they will finish the maths part now. Hopefully - that very long lunch break will give them a much needed mental break, before the verbal reasoning.

Oh, it has all come to an end now and no more prep of any kind. Goodbye 11 plus (until 2021 that is).
Skylark

Post by Skylark »

halsea wrote:Wishing your son lots of luck! My daughters was yesterday and they were ready about 15 minutes before they said for collection.
How did she feel coming out Halsea? Was she feeling well in the morning?
halsea

Post by halsea »

Hi Skylark, she came out saying she felt she had done quite well, and felt a bit better. But I'm panicking because I suggested that she answered the maths more thoroughly than the grammar as you can't guess it thinking she might do 75% of it and so get virtually 75% right and she informed me that she only did half the paper :( Maths is her best subject, but she's not great under time limits. I'm now wishing I just said rush through and do as much as possible.
Skylark

Post by Skylark »

halsea wrote:Hi Skylark, she came out saying she felt she had done quite well, and felt a bit better. But I'm panicking because I suggested that she answered the maths more thoroughly than the grammar as you can't guess it thinking she might do 75% of it and so get virtually 75% right and she informed me that she only did half the paper :( Maths is her best subject, but she's not great under time limits. I'm now wishing I just said rush through and do as much as possible.
Aaaw I'm glad it went well and she was feeling better :D.

With regards to the maths, I think only A and B is the main important areasand the C section, from my understanding is to find the scholarship candidates. I am not sure if this is the same format for the girls school. But the sample booklet they sent after we register, said that they hope - half is attempted at least.

My son worried a great deal about the creative writing bit. He is an avid reader, but it seems in exam conditions his mind goes blank. Let's see what he says. All I told him was to attempt as much as possible and leave time to check his work. I hope he comes out feeling positive.

If your daughter felt positive overall, hopefully that means she tried her best and well done to her.
halsea

Post by halsea »

Thanks Skylark, its frustrating as she can complete most maths, even pretty advanced stuff, just not particularly quickly. We didn't seem to get a booklet like you describe? Yes the creative writing pieces the morning one she did well, but by the afternoon she was pretty tired from the whole experience. I know they said they take that into account. I've said I'm proud of her for being barely 10 and going for the whole day to a new school, completing 3 tests and coming out smiling :) Fx for your son, I'm sure he will do brilliantly.
bluejay

Post by bluejay »

So glad that is over.

My DS has confirmed, he did not manage to finish all of the comprehension. He missed a few questions out. The VR was fine. Regarding the Maths, he seems to have missed a few out there too.

His friend has put doubts in his head by saying he found it really easy and did not miss anything out!
Another friend answered all of A & B but only managed half of Section C in the Maths. He too missed out some sections in the comprehension.

My older 2 can't remember how many they missed out or whether they answered them all! Older 2 both were offered places.

Now that all the exams are over, and the grammar results are imminent I am actually starting to stress.
halsea

Post by halsea »

Bluejay at least its done now and isn't a date looming on the calendar for them. I'm hoping that KES look at the standard of what they did actually complete. They are only 10 most of them and apart from if they have sat a grammar test, this is their first pressurised proper exam in their academic careers. Roll on Friday and the 1st of December.
bluejay

Post by bluejay »

So true Halsea... the exams are over but the results open up a real can of worms. So much to consider... will he end up with DS1 or DS2 or somewhere entirely different. I'm probably overthinking it.

DH has taken all of the children to see his parents as I am feeling under the weather, so sitting here with too much time on my hands for the 1st time.... ever :lol: