Beths or Chis and Sid?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
shelley75

Re: Beths or Chis and Sid?

Post by shelley75 »

My DD started at Chis n Sid last month and it's so far so good. They are strict and there's a lot of homework. They very much throw them in at the deep-end with very little hand holding but the kids rise to the challenge.

We chose Chis n Sid because it's in walking distance and that makes life a lot easier. And I liked the firm but fair atmosphere of the school.

If you have any questions I'll try and help.
Ungratefulbiped

Post by Ungratefulbiped »

Thank you I may just call on you! When you say a lot of homework... I'm seeing in the prospectus that 60-90 minutes in years 7 and 8. Is that a fair estimation?
Can they stay at school and do homework? It looks like they can. Is there a chess club? How difficult is it to get involved in student council? We'd be getting the train from Mottingham station. I'm assuming there will be some kids coming from Lee and Mott on that line to Sidcup? Do they travel together? Is thete out of school bullying issue when traveling or do they stick together? I worry a bit about having a "keeping up with the Joneses" and being the working class family among a lot of very wealthy people? Is that even a legitimate worry?
I had a lot more questions than I thought! You can't really ask these in open days though. Ha
shelley75

Post by shelley75 »

>>> I'm seeing in the prospectus that 60-90 minutes in years 7 and 8. Is that a fair estimation?

Yes, I'd say that was accurate. They've had about 30 pieces of homework so far so there aren't many free evenings.

>>Can they stay at school and do homework? It looks like they can.

yes

>> Is there a chess club?

My DD doesn't play chess but it is on the list of clubs available for year 7.

>>How difficult is it to get involved in student council?

My DD was made house captain in week two. She hasn't mentioned a school council yet.

>>We'd be getting the train from Mottingham station. I'm assuming there will be some kids coming from Lee and Mott on that line to Sidcup? Do they travel together?

We live in Sidcup so I don't know but I've heard that loads of kids travel that line together.

>>Is there out of school bullying issue when traveling or do they stick together?

I know quite a few children in the older years (my children's primary school is 5 minutes away) and everyone has always been really happy and rates the school very highly. Someone told me his daughter had the tiniest bit of bullying a few years ago but they dealt with it immediately.

>>I worry a bit about having a "keeping up with the Joneses" and being the working class family among a lot of very wealthy people? Is that even a legitimate worry?

I think it's a bit middle class but not wealthy. I know lots of family whose children go and I would describe them as comfortably off. A warning now: it feels like there are lots of requests for money. It's calmed down now but at the beginning I felt like I was hemorrhaging money! The uniform isn't cheap and the dinner money really mounts up!

Maybe this is true of all secondary schools but there is an assumption that you have access to computers, the internet and a printer. For example you have to print off the German workbook for homework yourself, the children aren't given photocopies.

Hope that helps a bit. Happy to answer anything as best I can.
Ungratefulbiped

shelley75 wrote:>>> I'm seeing in the prospectus that 60-90 minutes in years 7 and 8. Is that a fair estimation?

Yes, I'd say that was accurate. They've had about 30 pieces of homework so far so there aren't many free evenings.

>>Can they stay at school and do homework? It looks like they can.

yes

>> Is there a chess club?

My DD doesn't play chess but it is on the list of clubs available for year 7.

>>How difficult is it to get involved in student council?

My DD was made house captain in week two. She hasn't mentioned a school council yet.

>>We'd be getting the train from Mottingham station. I'm assuming there will be some kids coming from Lee and Mott on that line to Sidcup? Do they travel together?

We live in Sidcup so I don't know but I've heard that loads of kids travel that line together.

>>Is there out of school bullying issue when traveling or do they stick together?

I know quite a few children in the older years (my children's primary school is 5 minutes away) and everyone has always been really happy and rates the school very highly. Someone told me his daughter had the tiniest bit of bullying a few years ago but they dealt with it immediately.

>>I worry a bit about having a "keeping up with the Joneses" and being the working class family among a lot of very wealthy people? Is that even a legitimate worry?

I think it's a bit middle class but not wealthy. I know lots of family whose children go and I would describe them as comfortably off. A warning now: it feels like there are lots of requests for money. It's calmed down now but at the beginning I felt like I was hemorrhaging money! The uniform isn't cheap and the dinner money really mounts up!

Maybe this is true of all secondary schools but there is an assumption that you have access to computers, the internet and a printer. For example you have to print off the German workbook for homework yourself, the children aren't given photocopies.

Hope that helps a bit. Happy to answer anything as best I can.
Thank you brilliant answers. I appreciate you taking the time to type all that out. You sound very happy and proud of your school.
That sounds reasonable. I had it wrong thinking they were very very wealthy? I went to private schools but they were like middle of the road. Are they on loads of trips or is it reasonable amount?
Oh! 3 languages at the same time or staggered? My father teaches Latin at a private school so hoping we can spend the summer getting a jump on it!
shelley75

Post by shelley75 »

No worries - it was mainly copy and paste :-)

>>I had it wrong thinking they were very very wealthy? I went to private schools but they were like middle of the road.

The wealthy families I know seem to go private. The grammars seem to be full of middle class kids.

>>Are they on loads of trips or is it reasonable amount?

Year 7 has a trip to Canterbury in November and Lullingstone Villa in February. There are opportunities to go on loads of trips but they're not compulsory (I think it's Switzerland for the year 7s).

>> 3 languages at the same time or staggered? My father teaches Latin at a private school so hoping we can spend the summer getting a jump on it!

Just two. DD has German and Latin but the other half of the school has French and Latin. Sounds like your dad is going to be very useful!
Ungratefulbiped

shelley75 wrote:No worries - it was mainly copy and paste :-)

>>I had it wrong thinking they were very very wealthy? I went to private schools but they were like middle of the road.

The wealthy families I know seem to go private. The grammars seem to be full of middle class kids.

>>Are they on loads of trips or is it reasonable amount?

Year 7 has a trip to Canterbury in November and Lullingstone Villa in February. There are opportunities to go on loads of trips but they're not compulsory (I think it's Switzerland for the year 7s).

>> 3 languages at the same time or staggered? My father teaches Latin at a private school so hoping we can spend the summer getting a jump on it!

Just two. DD has German and Latin but the other half of the school has French and Latin. Sounds like your dad is going to be very useful!
I'm a firm believer we all need Latin! We spend the summer with my parents (hence the chess obsession from grandpa)so he can do some year 7&8 Latin as those are the years he teaches! Is it silly to be getting excited ds is getting this opportunity? I was going through all the comps and just nothing fit!
shelley75

Post by shelley75 »

>>I'm a firm believer we all need Latin! We spend the summer with my parents (hence the chess obsession from grandpa)so he can do some year 7&8 Latin as those are the years he teaches! Is it silly to be getting excited ds is getting this opportunity? I was going through all the comps and just nothing fit!

My husband did Latin GCSE and he understands ultra complicated English words because of their Latin roots. It's a great subject. I wish I'd have had the opportunity to study it.

I know completely what you mean about finding the right fit for your child. It's a lovely feeling to know your child will be happy, fit in and have his needs met at school.
Imelda

Post by Imelda »

Thank you Shelley, it’s so good to see the school from a parents perspective!
Is there a list somewhere of all the clubs available at Chis and Sid?
What do not so sporty kids do when everyone plays rugby? I know the headteacher is very keen on this (but my DS isn’t!)
How does the school communicate with the parents? How do parents communicate?
How do you know what homework your DD has?
Are there more boys or girls in the class?
Do they do any subjects separately?
Do kids get help if they struggle with anything? What was the first day at the new school like for your DD?
What time does the school day start? What time does it finish?
I’ve seen some year 8 pupils wear suits that didn’t look like school uniform. Are they allowed to wear smart clothes, other than CS purple uniform?
Sorry I have so many questions!
Thank you for your time. :)
shelley75

Post by shelley75 »

>>Is there a list somewhere of all the clubs available at Chis and Sid?

It's on the school website but I think you need to be logged in to the parent portal. I'll DM you the password.

>>What do not so sporty kids do when everyone plays rugby? I know the headteacher is very keen on this (but my DS isn’t!)

I think the boys have to try it for a few Saturdays and then if they don't like it they don't have to continue.

>>How does the school communicate with the parents? How do parents communicate?

They email us. We are given email details for their class tutor.

>>How do you know what homework your DD has?

We have a homework app that tells us (most) of the homework and when its due. Some teachers don't add it to the system so I have to get DD to check her planner.

>>Are there more boys or girls in the class?

In DD's class there are 11 girls and 21 boys!!

>>Do they do any subjects separately?

Just PE I think

>>Do kids get help if they struggle with anything?

I imagine they would but from what I have seen they really expect kids to figure things out for themselves. They don't hand hold at all. Homework has been a real challenge to find out which portal you download it from. But the kids have their own intranet and band together to help each other out.

>>What was the first day at the new school like for your DD?

The first four days are shorter than the normal day. Day one was half day but it was CATS tests all day.

>>What time does the school day start? What time does it finish? 8:10 - 3pm

>>I’ve seen some year 8 pupils wear suits that didn’t look like school uniform. Are they allowed to wear smart clothes, other than CS purple uniform?

The 6th formers wear the smart suits but 7-11 have to wear the purple uniform.

Happy to try and help. It's an exciting but nerve wracking time picking a school!
Ungratefulbiped

Definitely the biggest detriment to Chis & Sid is that purple uniform! What were they thinking?!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now