Living in thurrock and Commuting

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Guest55

Re: Living in thurrock and Commuting

Post by Guest55 »

What is wrong with schools in Thurrock itself?
Thurrock Mum

Post by Thurrock Mum »

Guest55 wrote:What is wrong with schools in Thurrock itself?
Hi,
I really don’t know if there is anything wrong with schools in Thurrock, however in order to make an informed decision, one must evaluate all options.

So this is merely what I am doing and simply asking for advise from more experienced people.

Hope that answers your question.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Surely you would look at local options first? We have no choice of comprehensives in Bucks as its fully selective. However I did live near you when I was very young and know travelling in certain directions in Essex is not great.
AlP80

Post by AlP80 »

Guest55 wrote:Surely you would look at local options first? We have no choice of comprehensives in Bucks as its fully selective. However I did live near you when I was very young and know travelling in certain directions in Essex is not great.
With the selective schools open days/evenings coming long before those of the local comps (and the actual 11+ exam coming actually coming before a good number of local comps open evenings) it's tricky to look at the local options first.

I think Thurrock Mum has this right. Look at all available, and reasonable, options in the order they present themselves before making a fully informed decision. She'd be daft to do it any other way, surely?
Proudmumregardless

Post by Proudmumregardless »

There is a girl from Dagenham and I believe also one from South Ockenden in my daughter's year at Colchester high... Their parents are fools imo
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Proudmumregardless wrote:There is a girl from Dagenham and I believe also one from South Ockenden in my daughter's year at Colchester high... Their parents are fools imo
Well, there's a couple of journeys to conjure with :shock: .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

AlP80 wrote:With the selective schools open days/evenings coming long before those of the local comps (and the actual 11+ exam coming actually coming before a good number of local comps open evenings) it's tricky to look at the local options first.

I think Thurrock Mum has this right. Look at all available, and reasonable, options in the order they present themselves before making a fully informed decision. She'd be daft to do it any other way, surely?
No, I'd have looked at local options earlier [Year 4/5] and only then considered others if local was truly terrible which they aren't.
scooby doo

Post by scooby doo »

Gosh, I don't know how some children cope with a long commute to school. With the darker mornings I struggle to get myself out of bed and my youngest, who is in year 7, really found it difficult to leave her snuggley duvet and pillows this morning. We just made it on time and we only live 10 mins from school.

SD
AlP80

Post by AlP80 »

Guest - It depends where in Thurrock you're living & personal thoughts I guess, maybe some feel that their local comp(s) aren't at the level they want for their child, or that a local-ish selective school would be a better option.

Re the order of viewing schools & looking at the schools earlier, I was offering a general thought. Personally, we looked at our local comps last year too, and there was a noticeable difference from '17 to '18 at two of the three. A lot can happen (good and bad) in two years, if looking at them at the start of Y4.

It's all about opinions & situations isn't it. What works for one family isn't necessarily going to work for another, but there's no right or wrong, only what suits them...
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

AlP80 wrote:Guest - It depends where in Thurrock you're living & personal thoughts I guess, maybe some feel that their local comp(s) aren't at the level they want for their child, or that a local-ish selective school would be a better option.
What does that mean? Able children at these comps do very well and, in my experience, a long journey to school is detrimental to achievement. At a GS [which cannot be said to be 'local'] they probably won't stay to any after school activities and friends will be spread over a large radius.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now