How do head teacher appeals work?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Topcat75

How do head teacher appeals work?

Post by Topcat75 »

Obvs the school know our results beforehand so they can attend head teacher appeals. But I'm unsure what they achieve. Do they give them a higher score? Or just that the child would normally perform better? What happens after this?
yoyo123

Re: How do head teacher appeals work?

Post by yoyo123 »

They provide evidence of high standard work and write a report in support of that child, explaining why they feel that the child should attend a grammar school.
Topcat75

Post by Topcat75 »

Thanks, does that mean that they can automatically be put forward for grammar or will we still need to appeal and the panel take the ht advice into consideration. Sorry if that's a really stupid question!!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Which LA are you talking about?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Obvs the school know our results beforehand so they can attend head teacher appeals.
There are different kinds of review, depending on the admission authority.

I assume you're referring to the "headteacher assessment" - a form of review in Kent - in which case, as Yoyo says, the school would send in a written submission for pupils they are supporting, rather than attend a meeting.
But I'm unsure what they achieve ....?
If the review is successful, the child becomes "qualified" and can therefore be considered eligible for grammar school entry.

If you're unsuccessful in getting a grammar school place, you can still appeal later on (after 1st March). Appeals take place in the summer term.

We give some general information about reviews here:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Topcat75

Post by Topcat75 »

Guest55 wrote:Which LA are you talking about?

Yes Kent.
Topcat75

Post by Topcat75 »

Etienne wrote:
Obvs the school know our results beforehand so they can attend head teacher appeals.
There are different kinds of review, depending on the admission authority.

I assume you're referring to the "headteacher assessment" - a form of review in Kent - in which case, as Yoyo says, the school would send in a written submission for pupils they are supporting, rather than attend a meeting.
But I'm unsure what they achieve ....?
If the review is successful, the child becomes "qualified" and can therefore be considered eligible for grammar school entry.

If you're unsuccessful in getting a grammar school place, you can still appeal later on (after 1st March). Appeals take place in the summer term.

We give some general information about reviews here:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you. I'm worried as it says that if a ht assessment has taken place, it is unlikely we will be successful at a parent appeal as all academic achievement has already been considered. If this is the Care, is there anything else we could appeal on?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Thank you. I'm worried as it says that if a ht assessment has taken place, it is unlikely we will be successful at a parent appeal as all academic achievement has already been considered.
When you write "it says", where exactly are you quoting from?

Unless there's been a change, I don't think "it is unlikely we will be successful at a parent appeal as all academic achievement has already been considered" applies in Kent, although it does apply elsewhere (e.g. Medway).
Etienne
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Not being succesful at HT review does not mean that a parent appeal for a particular school won’t succeed.

Not all parent appeals are succesful, but quite a few are.
Topcat75

Post by Topcat75 »

Important! Where a local review has taken place, your rights could be seriously curtailed because the Code now says that, provided the review was fair, consistent and objective, no other issues can be considered at appeal.

This is a direct quote from the appeals section on this site.