Bulge class for Bexley Grammar School 2019

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

PeppermintCreams

Bulge class for Bexley Grammar School 2019

Post by PeppermintCreams »

I've just been to an open morning at Bexley Grammar School. The council have asked them to have a bulge class of 32 for the September 2019 intake due to high numbers, taking their PAN up to 224 this year, so their "catchment" may go out further. I'm guessing this may have an impact on the catchment of the other Bexley grammar schools too. Also sibling places from the bulge class will impact things over the next few years.
Ungratefulbiped

Re: Bulge class for Bexley Grammar School 2019

Post by Ungratefulbiped »

PeppermintCreams wrote:I've just been to an open morning at Bexley Grammar School. The council have asked them to have a bulge class of 32 for the September 2019 intake due to high numbers, taking their PAN up to 224 this year, so their "catchment" may go out further. I'm guessing this may have an impact on the catchment of the other Bexley grammar schools too. Also sibling places from the bulge class will impact things over the next few years.
Very useful information. Thank you. I am wondering how all the councils are going to cope with the jump in pupil numbers for these 2007/2008 births.
mj8784

Post by mj8784 »

Thanks for the info - that’s interesting. What did you think of the school? I’m trying to decide between BGS and Beths for my son.
PeppermintCreams

Post by PeppermintCreams »

mj8784 wrote:Thanks for the info - that’s interesting. What did you think of the school? I’m trying to decide between BGS and Beths for my son.
I liked it, and if we were looking at co-ed it would definitely be our top choice. A friend who has a child in year 8 speaks very highly about it. I was very impressed with the sixth former and year 8 child who led our tour group and liked the vibe of the school. Although we live a 12 mins drive away, my DS would need to get 3 buses and over an hour to get there by himself, which is putting me off a bit. The TFL Gods are against us!
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

PeppermintCreams wrote:
mj8784 wrote:Thanks for the info - that’s interesting. What did you think of the school? I’m trying to decide between BGS and Beths for my son.
I liked it, and if we were looking at co-ed it would definitely be our top choice. A friend who has a child in year 8 speaks very highly about it. I was very impressed with the sixth former and year 8 child who led our tour group and liked the vibe of the school. Although we live a 12 mins drive away, my DS would need to get 3 buses and over an hour to get there by himself, which is putting me off a bit. The TFL Gods are against us!
Get him a bike..
mj8784

Post by mj8784 »

Thanks Peppermint. It's a pig to get to from us too. My older son goes to Beths which is further but he can get the train straight there so transport might be the deciding factor :roll:
hanaF

Post by hanaF »

Thank you peppermint for the info. DS2 likes Bexley Grammar but we are like 0.2 miles out of previous year's catchment. Now we have hope! Fingers crossed.
kaykay

Post by kaykay »

Thanks for the info Peppermint. I was at the open morning too and found my Y7 guide very intelligent. It was interesting what the head inferred about his performance stats being higher if he could use weighted data for girls and boys separately, that could account for Beths Boys appearing lower on the tables. Mind you it might not matter too much after the Ofsted announcement today about scrapping league tables.

I am in catchment and am trying to choose between Bexley Grammar, Chis & Sid and Beths... still undecided and juggling figures and presentations. DC likes all of them!
pabloc

Post by pabloc »

We need to move from Blackheath and such a dilemma between 3 Bexley schools and possibly Dartford Grammar.

Ironically the closer the house we find to a school like Bexley, the harder it is to get to them.

A place in Kidbrooke could make all bexley grammars within rea h, but probably too far out for catchments
Ungratefulbiped

Post by Ungratefulbiped »

pabloc wrote:We need to move from Blackheath and such a dilemma between 3 Bexley schools and possibly Dartford Grammar.

Ironically the closer the house we find to a school like Bexley, the harder it is to get to them.

A place in Kidbrooke could make all bexley grammars within rea h, but probably too far out for catchments
Same we put the house up last year and had sale fall through twice. We've been looking to go from Mottingham village to Eltham/New Eltham which really does leave you pretty much in catchment for everything... barring that Bexley Grammar short intake past 2 years
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now