Bexley test- non selective

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sobz70

Bexley test- non selective

Post by sobz70 »

Unfortunately my DD has marginally missed the Bexley test (Her score was actually 217.85 but rounded down to 217) is there any chance she may still get a place at a Bexley grammar school ( thinking of Townley as they used to give places to students for one mark below pass mark) I know last year they were over capacity that even selective candidates didn't get in. Just thinking about our options. She passed kent comfortably but not high enough for OOC.
Kinfolk

Re: Bexley test- non selective

Post by Kinfolk »

Hi Sobz,

It really depends on the year. If you're confident that your daughter will definitely get into one of the local comprehensive schools that you list you could try putting Townley as your first option just to see what happens. Do make sure you've got some "dead certs" on your list of schools however as, otherwise, you'll be rejected from all of your comprehensive choices and the council will allocate a place at an under-subscribed school (which is likely to be undesirable).

Sometimes parents put down a load of lovely schools that they're way out of catchment for, plus they put down grammar schools where their child failed the test. That's when they end up being given a random school.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Hi Sobz depending on where you are located you may get a Kent Grammar that just requires a pass. Weald of Kent for example came out as far as Orpington. Good luck for the Newstead result for your DD as that might take away any dilemma?
PeppermintCreams

Post by PeppermintCreams »

I would say it was worth a shot as historically they have taken those who have missed off by one mark before and it's specifically mentioned on their admission criteria. Bexley Grammar is having an extra class this year so that might or might not change things in your favour. However, it's a school year with high birth rate (some of the primary schools for the 07/08 births had bulge classes) so who knows.
sobz70

Post by sobz70 »

Yes I am awaiting Newstead results with bated breath!! That is our top choice and where DD wants to go but being disappointed with the other results. I am already thinking about other options. Don't have much hope now. :(

Post by 1971 »

Hi Sobz70.

Sorry to hear that. hope you get the news you want from newstead. if not on the plus side C&S also took some year before this just under the pass mark, so you might want to consider that as well as townley as a 'if we are lucky' place. on the slightly less positive side, as you might know, with high birth rates for the year just started competition was fierce. Townley wasn't able to offer all qualifiers a place this year - not sure where they are on the wait list now - so as far as I know hasn't got to the reserve ! or 2 points under qualification. We were hoping to go this route, but it was clear when the offers went out that the waiting list was so long this wasn't going to happen.

Again depending on your location, Wilmington don't offer on score but on location, so my dd's class has kids from Thamesmead and woowich. She is very happy there. Open evening coming Monday, and daytime tues.

Good luck
vegmad

Post by vegmad »

Hi Sobz, I could have written your post, we are in exactly the same situation! Hoping for Newstead too as it's dd2's favourite and she has been so brave with the results so far, it just feels so unfair for a 10 year old. I do feel some mummy guilt at putting her through this, but she wants it and is capable of achieving at a grammar school.

We plan to go out for breakfast on Sunday to look at our options.

Good luck!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now