Glen's appeal (Kent)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Glen

Glen's appeal (Kent)

Post by Glen »

Hi there, my daughter received her scores Thursday and unfortunately it wasn't a automatic pass she achieved the following:
Maths 120
Reasoning 110
English 106 !!! ( 1 mark away)
Total 336

I spoke to her HT and he mentioned to me that they appealed, but it was unsuccessful, my daughter was suffering from an eye infection and although she took the test, she struggled whole day with pain. I remember the teacher told me to email him to explain the reason and they'll attached it on her file ?? But I should have also mentioned that my partner was going through a very hard time with chemotherapy for the last 5 months and she also needed a serious operation 5 weeks before my daughter test, so her preperation was effected as she helped her mother, while she was bed bound.

Please can anyone advice whats a parent appeal?
Is it worth appealing?
I got an appointment with her headmaster Monday afternoon, what should I ask?
Is it worth mentioning my wife health issues? Or is it too late?
My daughter had her heart set on a particular school, any advice would be very helpful.

Regards
Glen
Etienne

Re: Glen's appeal (Kent)

Post by Etienne »

Hi Glen - right forum, but best not to add your case on to someone else's.

I've split your post because, if you want advice for yourself, you need your own thread.
Glen wrote:the teacher told me to email him to explain the reason
Was this before or after the test?

An appeal panel will want to know why she was allowed to sit the test if she was in pain.
I should have also mentioned that my partner was going through a very hard time with chemotherapy for the last 5 months and she also needed a serious operation 5 weeks before my daughter test, so her preperation was effected as she helped her mother, while she was bed bound.
Was the school not made aware of this at the time?
Is there evidence that her school work suffered?
Please can anyone advice whats a parent appeal?
There is only one sort of an appeal - namely an independent appeal (usually made by parents).

Kent has an optional extra, called the headteacher assessment, which is presumably meant to filter out some of the stronger cases before the (much more costly) independent appeals start.
Is it worth appealing?
That depends on how strong a case you can put together!
I got an appointment with her headmaster Monday afternoon, what should I ask?
This might give you some ideas:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is it worth mentioning my wife health issues? Or is it too late?
It's not too late, but it would probably carry more weight if the school was made aware at the time, or if there's evidence that the child's routine school work was affected.

However, academic evidence of high ability is what really matters.
My daughter had her heart set on a particular school, any advice would be very helpful.
Start here.
Etienne
FortyNinePence

Re: Glen's appeal (Kent)

Post by FortyNinePence »

Hi Glen

It sounds like you’ve been through the mill. :(

We found ourselves in a very similar position last year - please PM me for more information. My experience in Kent has been it’s all about which grammar school you appeal to - there are much greater chances of success at some vs others. As you can only appeal to a school you’ve listed on your CAF its important to research this in the next few weeks before you have to get your form in.