Anyone know at what point admissions criteria are applied?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

steppemum

Anyone know at what point admissions criteria are applied?

Post by steppemum »

So, for example, Crypt's admissions criteria states

1. Looked After Children
2. Pupil Premium
3. All other children.

SHS says that any child in receipt of FSM who achieves the qualifying score will get a place. I know that you had to prove you were in receipt of FSM before you sat the test.

So, have those things already been applied?
In other words, would the LAC or FSM or PP kids be in already ranked in the top 150 if they qualified?
Or does it work that they are given a rank eg 398, but they will get a place on 1st March, even if the last allocated rank was 350?

I ma asking for a parent whose child has received a very strange mix of scores, and we are trying to work out if it is because some of the criteria have already been applied
mitasol

Re: Anyone know at what point admissions criteria are applie

Post by mitasol »

I don't know the answer for certain but I would only expect it to be based on exam results at this stage. You could try asking the LA or schools for clarification.
cazien

Post by cazien »

No, they would have their own rank as to how they performed in the test.

I don't know if all schools have "reserved places" for PP children etc. but some do.

HSFG admission criteria states they have 15 PP places for children who meet the qualifying standard etc. so the top 15 PP children will be guaranteed a place (assuming they apply for it :!: ). If there are 18 PP children who have qualified for HSFG the other 3 will only be offered a place if their rank is high enough.

Probably not very helpful, but hope this clarifies your query.
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

That is pretty much what I thought, that at this stage it is exam score rank, and the admissions is applied later.

It is the Crypt score which seems very out of synch. She has passed well, so not worried about entrance, but just don't understand her spread of scores.

I don't want to be too precise as it isn't mine to share but something like this:

Crypt well under 200
top 150 SHS and HSFG
didn't qualify for Pates
Ribston well over 300

There are posters on here who got 240 for Crypt and qualified for Pates
cazien

Post by cazien »

Ranks do seem to be a little strange this year :!:
The only reason I can think of is Pates admissions policy states "In order to be eligible for admission to the school, candidates must achieve the Qualifying Standard, to include minimum standards in each part of the test" so maybe she didn't reach minimum standards in each part of the test?

Other posts have been:-
A DD has been ranked 151 for Pates 219 for Crypt
A DS has been ranked 150 for Pates 243 for Crypt.
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

I also thought that Ribston was usually the easiest to get into of the girls, but this kid got top 150 for HSFG and SHS and below 300 for Ribston, which doesn't make any sense.

Which is why we were wondering if the admissions criteria had already been applied.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

steppemum wrote:I also thought that Ribston was usually the easiest to get into of the girls, but this kid got top 150 for HSFG and SHS and below 300 for Ribston, which doesn't make any sense.

Which is why we were wondering if the admissions criteria had already been applied.
Everyone else has also heard that Ribston is 'easy to get into' and so this year, the number of girls opting to share with the school has rocketed? Do you have the stays re how many shared with each school?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

817 girls shared with SHS
990 girls shared with Ribston
HSFG didn't say
YankBritmum

Post by YankBritmum »

To give you some direct data comparison from my DD:

SHS & HSFG 150

Ribston: 74 (yes, they actually listed the rank position within the 150)

steppemum wrote:I also thought that Ribston was usually the easiest to get into of the girls, but this kid got top 150 for HSFG and SHS and below 300 for Ribston, which doesn't make any sense.

cazien

Post by cazien »

As much as I agree ranks across the schools are pretty weird this year, don't forget that ranks are not based purely on the score achieved in the test.

Each school could possibly apply there own weighting. Throwing some "out there" possibilities into the mix, a variation of marks could be added or deducted for birthdate, ability on one section and, as schools are increasingly expressing concern at travel distance, that could have played a factor this year. I know birthdate is definitely a factor.