Apply in Bucks Grammar School while living in Berkshire?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

adnanabid

Apply in Bucks Grammar School while living in Berkshire?

Post by adnanabid »

Hi

I live in Earley and some Bucks Grammar Schools are less than 10 miles away from our house, my kid got above 121 marks, can we apply in Marlow or John Hampden School?
Is it matter how good marks you got?
Even if i change my house, i wont be able to sell my house quickly.

Any help would be helpful to do quick decision.
hermanmunster

Re: Apply in Bucks Grammar School while living in Berkshire?

Post by hermanmunster »

On the spreadsheet in the first post of this thread https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 12&t=54212" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; you will find the allocations for Bucks schools over several years indicating the exact distance of the last place offered.

Score does not count so long as you get over 121 - it all comes down to distance
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

If you are 10 miles away you certainly will not get a place at SWBGS and the last time you would have got a place at JHGS would have been 2015. It might have been an idea to check this before making your child sit the test. The result of this is to push the pass marks up & take places from Bucks children, as well as putting your child through unnecessary stress. All of which could be avoided by reading the admissions criteria (for the score) and allocation profiles.
If you move you will be considered in later rounds but the waiting lists barely moved this year.
scary mum
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

adnanabid wrote:Hi

I live in Earley and some Bucks Grammar Schools are less than 10 miles away from our house, my kid got above 121 marks, can we apply in Marlow or John Hampden School?
Is it matter how good marks you got?
Even if i change my house, i wont be able to sell my house quickly.

Any help would be helpful to do quick decision.

I also live in Earley and have looked at the Bucks allocations every year, comparing against the distance to the Three Tuns crossroads.
You have no chance of a Bucks School.
You also have several good local schools, which I’m hoping you are considering.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

scary mum wrote:If you are 10 miles away you certainly will not get a place at SWBGS and the last time you would have got a place at JHGS would have been 2015. It might have been an idea to check this before making your child sit the test. The result of this is to push the pass marks up & take places from Bucks children, as well as putting your child through unnecessary stress. All of which could be avoided by reading the admissions criteria (for the score) and allocation profiles.
If you move you will be considered in later rounds but the waiting lists barely moved this year.
I agree entirely.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

I think you need to visit both JHGS and SWBGS as they are very different schools. I visited both and I had a strong preference for one right from the outset.

And I agree with the above posters, you are too far away to get in either school.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

My 2 children are at SWBGS.

They have not allocated past 3 miles for tge last 3 years (so not all of catchment). The current year 10 you would have probably got a place - it was an odd year. Current year 11 you wouldn’t- they offered catchment, non catchment siblings and then as far as 2 children in Henley.

Based on the above I would say you have pretty much no chance of a place. SWBGS generally has very little movement after the initial offer day in March. It’s only 120 places and there are generally quite a lot of siblings.

I’m assuming you went to the open day? SWBGS has a very strong identity- my family love it as do all the families I know with children there. Marlow has always had gossip about how SWBGS is rubbish pastorally but this is not my experience. This gossip is probably less now as WHS is not as fashionable. Marlow is a small town- everyone knows everyone- the vast majority of students will know a large number of people in their class from toddler group days. This isn’t necessarily everybody’s cup of tea. My children and their friends however have found this quite reassuring and family like.

If you are looking at moving into Marlow it would be a massive gamble and house prices are steep and primary places may be a challenge.
adnanabid

Post by adnanabid »

Thanks Everyone!

Another question, Any Bucks School accept moving date at start of school or in March / April?

Do i need to move now? Or i can choose School which is open to accept preference on CAF and i will get some time to move in their catchment before starting school in Sep or By April June time?
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

I thought you were applying to Slough. And Reading.

You can move any time you like but your current address will be the one that’s used in the allocations and you won’t get a place on 1st March. You can move after then and take your chances in a later round but what’s your back up if you don’t get a place? And what will you do about your son’s year six schooling? Have you got a primary place lined up for him in Bucks near wherever you’re planning to move?
Last edited by anotherdad on Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

You need to read the admissions criteria & the Bucks County Council website.
You have to move by 31 October for your new address to be considered in the first round of allocations on March 1st, and this has to be a genuine, permanent move. A move any later than Oct 31st will be considered in later rounds but the waiting lists moved very little this year, so it would be a huge risk. What would you do about the rest of year 6 if you did move?
ETA: as ever, crossed with anotherdad!
scary mum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now