2018 Grammar results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Dorset

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hermanmunster

Re: 2018 Grammar results

Post by hermanmunster »

GinDoll wrote:Thank you. The pass marks are 303 BSG and 296 Parkstone (which is too far from us, we are in Hampshire). I am in a quandary because the other school I really like is out of catchment and if I have to go to appeal to that one how can I argue that I feel its the best school for her if they know BSG was her first choice :D
You can appeal for more than one school - plenty of people do and make good cases as to why the one they are applying for is the right place for their child.

No-one can appeal until the application to the school is refused and that after allocation day in March
GinDoll

Post by GinDoll »

Onedayonechance wrote:
Yes that does make it more difficult. You are right it doesn't get any easier at all. I take it you have read all statistics for both schools?
I've had a really good look at them both. I kind of feel at this point that the other school might be better for her to stop her being bullied again. She's quite emotional and easily wound up and I wouldn't want he to be the worst behaved child at a grammar rather than a normally behaved, high achieving child at a state IYSWIM? I didn't go through this with my eldest as he point blank refused to do any tests or look at any schools other than the catchment one.
GinDoll

Post by GinDoll »

Jced79 wrote:
GinDoll wrote:
Jced79 wrote:Managed to pop home, not good news.

296 required for Parkstone grammar and she got 294!!
Oh so sorry. But if you're in catchment the new admissions will help I hope!

We are very much in catchment, 10 mins away, the letter says you can appeal through an independent appeals panel.
Definitely do appeal. I read that if you go for an emotional appeal you are more likely to succeed than if you argue logics (although you can still throw that it(. Something like really nervous on day of exam, as has wanted to go to Parkstone for so long because (insert reasons relating to school ethos here) and has seen children going there for years since you're so close and would be devastated etc. There are appeal experts who can help you. I really hope it all works out.
GinDoll

Post by GinDoll »

hermanmunster wrote:
GinDoll wrote:Thank you. The pass marks are 303 BSG and 296 Parkstone (which is too far from us, we are in Hampshire). I am in a quandary because the other school I really like is out of catchment and if I have to go to appeal to that one how can I argue that I feel its the best school for her if they know BSG was her first choice :D
You can appeal for more than one school - plenty of people do and make good cases as to why the one they are applying for is the right place for their child.

No-one can appeal until the application to the school is refused and that after allocation day in March
Thank you. I'm going to have a good look into it all this week and ask Little Miss Stroppy what she wants to do. She's too excited she passed to talk to at the moment. I think she was worried she would fail because she didn't finish one of the papers.
Jced79

Post by Jced79 »

I’d much rather she had failed by 10 points than 2! However, I guess there are people out there who only failed by 1 point!
GinDoll

Post by GinDoll »

Jced79 wrote:I’d much rather she had failed by 10 points than 2! However, I guess there are people out there who only failed by 1 point!
That would really upset me too. Is your little girl okay about it? Sometimes it's worse for parents I think.
Jced79

Post by Jced79 »

She was obviously a bit gutted, but went straight back to her computer after that, so she wasn’t as upset as I expected! Perhaps it will sink in later though. The worst thing is, her verbal score was excellent, her maths average, but her English bad! I don’t know what went on, but I’m guessing she made a bit of huge blunder (obviously), as English was always her strongest subject.

Thanks for asking.
shakira

Post by shakira »

Hello Dear Parents, Good luck with results,

Got out Post, My DD scored 367. Met standards for both BSG and Parkstone. Which we are happy about, bless her .
Twist is we are out of catchment.

Any idea if the schools keep a few places based on marks regardless of catchment.

Much thanks !!
tiredmum2

Post by tiredmum2 »

Hi Shakira, many congratulations to your child. Also congratulations and best wishes to the others on this thread. I think just taking the exam is a big step towards organising yourself towards the way things are done in secondary school and I felt quite a pang seeing all the little ones and their supportive parents on September 22nd.

We are also in the situation of having what looks like a good solid pass but being out of catchment and so we will be thinking very carefully about the next step forward.
Onedayonechance

Post by Onedayonechance »

shakira wrote:Hello Dear Parents, Good luck with results,

Got out Post, My DD scored 367. Met standards for both BSG and Parkstone. Which we are happy about, bless her .
Twist is we are out of catchment.

Any idea if the schools keep a few places based on marks regardless of catchment.

Much thanks !!
Great score, but they don't keep places for high scores ooc unfortunately. It's harder this year as they have massively increased their catchment area.