Cheltenham to Marling

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Glos18

Cheltenham to Marling

Post by Glos18 »

Sorry, I know this has been discussed in older posts but I'm looking for any up to date info.

After DS surpassing our expectations by achieving qualifying scores for all 4 schools, (but not in PAN for any) we now have to work out the CAF order. DS would like Tommies so that goes first, although at a rank of 255 he is too twilighty for comfort. So we need to decide on whether to put crypt or Marling next. We will be visiting both next week before we decide but I was wondering whether anyone had any info on transport from Cheltenham to Marling.

We live in South West Cheltenham near the bus stops and there isn't a massive amount of difference between the 2 schools re time leaving home/returning home when looking at crypt school bus vs Stroud public bus, although crypt has the edge. I was wondering whether anyone knew if there are any private transport options from Cheltenham to Stroud, or if anyone out there has experience of either of the journeys. Thanks x
RedVelvet

Re: Cheltenham to Marling

Post by RedVelvet »

I don't have any experience of either of those route, however the advantage of public transport i that there's often a choice of buses. Particularly useful for sports/clubs/bringing friends back/detentions.
Kaybee

Post by Kaybee »

Would the train work for your son?
We were contemplating sending our son to Marling from Cheltenham (he is now at STRS) and we found that the train option was cheaper and easier than sending him to the Crypt on the school bus. I’m pretty sure quite a few of them get the train to Marling and SHS. It’s about a ten minute walk from Stroud station.
Glos18

Post by Glos18 »

Unfortunately not. He would have to leave the house even earlier in the morning to get the train to Stroud, and we would probably have to drive him to and from the station each day. Thanks for the suggestion though.
cazien

Post by cazien »

No experience either, but school websites usually have a transport policy advising of services available, or I believe GCC also have a school transport department. A quick google and phone call may help, if no user responds on here.
Nammum

Post by Nammum »

Hi Glos18,

At present the only bus service to Marling and SHS is the number 66 Stagecoach bus. Whilst a public service the bus tends to be full of school children.

I do know that Jackies Coaches were looking into providing a private service earlier this year but I'm not sure what interest they received. The problem with the private coach companies is cost. I have friends with girls at HSFG who are planning to move from the private Bennetts coach to the public service into Gloucester because of cost.

Good luck
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now