Has the schools allocation process in Bucks changed?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Bucks11plus

Has the schools allocation process in Bucks changed?

Post by Bucks11plus »

Last year, some children in Chalfont St Peter and Gerrards Cross had scored 121 or more but were not allocated a place as the schools they chose were oversubscribed.

It understandably created panic and distress... However, eventually most were offered places but from schools outside of catchment and not to their choice.

We have heard the rules have changed this year to stop this terrible situation happening.

Wondered if anyone had any insight on this?
Sally-Anne

Re: Has the schools allocation process in Bucks changed?

Post by Sally-Anne »

This affected a small number of boys who had named DCGS and RGS as catchment schools on their CAF.

It has been a problem at DCGS since time immemorial, but this year there was pressure on places at RGS too, so several boys didn't get either of their preferences despite being in catchment.

The problem was already being looked at before it arose as part of a wider review of catchment areas, but as a result of the pressure last year an immediate change was made to the catchment area for Chesham Grammar, as follows: https://www.buckscc.gov.uk/services/edu ... ar-school/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The variation was fully supported by all the schools and Bucks CC, and agreed very promptly by the Office of the Schools' Adjudicator. It's hard to predict if it will completely resolve the problem, but it can only help.

The actual Admissions Policies of all the schools for 2019 remain as originally published after the consultation in 2017 - 18.
Bucks11plus

Post by Bucks11plus »

Thanks for the really quick and knowledgeable response. Very useful.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Just to add a few comments:
Bucks11plus wrote:the schools they chose
You express a preference for a school, not a choice. Nothing is guaranteed, regardless of catchment or other criteria.
to stop this terrible situation happening.
On the scale of human suffering, I wouldn't describe it as "terrible". Unfortunate, yes; upsetting, possibly. Ultimately though, I believe all the boys would have been allocated a mixed grammar school within easy travelling distance, had they only named it on their CAF. They opted to only name single-sex schools. That was their preference, which is fine, but (see above) ...
Amber

Post by Amber »

Sally-Anne wrote:
to stop this terrible situation happening.
On the scale of human suffering, I wouldn't describe it as "terrible".
Perfect. :D

A timely reminder on perspective. :wink:
Bucks11plus

Post by Bucks11plus »

You're spot on there if they made that choice for single sex. Good advice for everyone.
lucky8

Post by lucky8 »

Sally-Anne wrote:This affected a small number of boys who had named DCGS and RGS as catchment schools on their CAF.
Sally-Anne wrote:Ultimately though, I believe all the boys would have been allocated a mixed grammar school within easy travelling distance, had they only named it on their CAF. They opted to only name single-sex schools. That was their preference, which is fine, but (see above) ...
Actually there were qualified boys in 'area 7' in Chalfont St Peter who had named DCGS, RGS, Chesham and John Hampden and did not get offered any grammar place in 2018 (so it was not simply that they had opted not to include co-ed). The council allowed the parents concerned to add Burnham for the second round but this school has no transport links (school bus or public transport) to Chalfont St Peter.

The council/CGS were required by the Office of the Schools Adjudicator to change the catchment for Chesham for 2019 as the situation was recognised as unfair. The full adjudication can be found at https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -school--2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

lucky8 wrote:Actually there were qualified boys in 'area 7' in Chalfont St Peter who had named DCGS, RGS, Chesham and John Hampden and did not get offered any grammar place in 2018 (so it was not simply that they had opted not to include co-ed). The council allowed the parents concerned to add Burnham for the second round but this school has no transport links (school bus or public transport) to Chalfont St Peter.
I stand, quite rightly, corrected. I was very indirectly involved with the matter (not with any of the families in Area 7 though), and my memory of it has become slightly jaundiced for reasons I won't go in to!