Bexley Grammar or Beths for Twins

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kaykay

Bexley Grammar or Beths for Twins

Post by kaykay »

Perennial Question... Beths or BGS?

- Twin boys like both schools, both scored highly in Kent and Bexley 11+ (not top 180).
- Latest Gov / Telegraph league seems to show that Beths is slightly better with the numbers ie. progress 8.
- Still undecided on the co-ed v single sex conundrum.
- I thought Beths seemed a bit rowdier and more boisterous than BGS, but that could be down to the boys only factor.
- Closest to us are Beths (IC), BGS (IC), DGS, CSG (IC), WGSB in that order.

We haven't even thought about how to put Dartford Grammar into the ordering mix until we revisit again.

Also what would be the next closest good Kent grammar from Bexleyheath after Wilmington to put as option 6 on the CAF?

I know that's a lot of questions but any help from current Y7/8 parents in either school with thoughts if they made the right/wrong choice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
PeppermintCreams

Re: Bexley Grammar or Beths for Twins

Post by PeppermintCreams »

We are putting down our very local comprehensive as our 6th choice, as I don't see DS travelling anywhere further out. Out of Beths and BGS we are preferring Beths. For me it's a combination of the easiest to get to from where we live and the progress 8 score. DP is an old Beths boy and prefers single sex education. DS is liking the shorter journey times, and the cookies at the year 5 open morning.
kaykay

Post by kaykay »

Thanks for the info PeppermintCreams. I might have to pull out a Venn diagram of the close runners... but I don't know where liking free waterbottles would fit it! :)
Lilabelle

Post by Lilabelle »

We are in the same boat as you, not knowing which one to pick - Beths or Bexley Grammar. DS was in the top 180, are there any boys that travel from Petts Wood/Orpington to Bexley Grammar please ? What is the journey like ? Many thanks for your help.
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Lilabelle wrote:We are in the same boat as you, not knowing which one to pick - Beths or Bexley Grammar. DS was in the top 180, are there any boys that travel from Petts Wood/Orpington to Bexley Grammar please ? What is the journey like ? Many thanks for your help.
It's normally Chis & Sid that Orpington children go to - perhaps because it often comes out that far but also there's the no 51 bus. Are you not keen on that?
Lilabelle

Post by Lilabelle »

Many thanks Sorrel, we really liked Bexley Grammar from the open evening.
kaykay

Post by kaykay »

Lilabelle wrote:Many thanks Sorrel, we really liked Bexley Grammar from the open evening.
Did you get any sense of BGS children being pushed towards exam results and league tables during your visit there?
Lilabelle

Post by Lilabelle »

Hi KayKay, not at all. The children seemed very happy at the school - no pressure at all. I was very impressed with their emphasis on music and sport.