2018 Grammar results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Dorset

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Jced79

Re: 2018 Grammar results

Post by Jced79 »

H1278 wrote:Hi my daughter met the required standard for Parkstone but literally on the pass mark of 296! She messed up her VR but did really well on the maths and English - shame VR was her strongest in the practice papers! We are in the priority area and live about 3 miles away from the school - what’s the likelihood of her getting a place? Thanks
Talk about cutting it fine! I really hope she gets in, I was told in previous years (by someone with 3 children there) that everyone who passed and was in catchment, got offered a place. I hope this is true, but it’s something I’ve been thinking about as well. It doesn’t seem fair if you meet the required standard, but still don’t get offered a place. Does this happen?
Last edited by Jced79 on Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Onedayonechance

Post by Onedayonechance »

Jced79 wrote:
H1278 wrote:Hi my daughter met the required standard for Parkstone but literally on the pass mark of 296! She messed up her VR but did really well on the maths and English - shame VR was her strongest in the practice papers! We are in the priority area and live about 3 miles away from the school - what’s the likelihood of her getting a place? Thanks
Talk about cutting it fine! I really hope she gets in, I was told in previous years (by someone with 3 children there) that everyone who passed and was in catchment, got offered a place. I hope this is true, but it’s something I’ve been thinking about as well. It doesn’t seem fair if you meet the required standard, but still don’t get offered a place. Does this happen?

It happens in other areas and I fear it will happen here. The new catchment area includes the whole of Corfe Mullen and Lytchett (including Matravers) as well as the Borough of Poole, last year I believe less than 15 out of catchment kids got in, there are so many houses in the new areas I think it will fill all the places. This is only guess work from looking at the statistics but then there are only lies, damn lies and statistics.
H1278

Post by H1278 »

Hi I just had a look at this 27 girls got into Parkstone last year and the new catchment focuses only on Poole Postcodes from BH12 to BH21 3** However it’s a big big birth year.
Onedayonechance

H1278 wrote:Hi I just had a look at this 27 girls got into Parkstone last year and the new catchment focuses only on Poole Postcodes from BH12 to BH21 3** However it’s a big big birth year.
That's more positive, but the postcodes still cover whole of CM and lytchett. What we need to know is how many children last year met the required standard in the new catchment areas.
H1278

Post by H1278 »

20th February 2018 11:56am

PARKSTONE AND POOLE GRAMMAR SCHOOL ADMISSIONS – SEPTEMBER 2019

Following a period of consultation the Governing Bodies at both Parkstone and Poole Grammar Schools have carefully considered representations made to the Admission Authorities.

In response to the consultation the Admissions Authorities have made the following changes to their ratified policies for entrance to both schools in 2019:

The oversubscription criteria for both schools in relation to the ‘priority area’ is exactly the same.
The oversubscription criteria for both schools contains the Borough of Poole and therefore residents that have historically had priority in admission retain that priority.
The exact oversubscription criteria relating to priority area for both schools are:

Eligible boys / girls who live within the Borough of Poole and/or Poole postcodes BH12, BH13, BH14, BH15, BH16, BH17, BH18 and BH21 3**, and who are currently entitled to the Pupil Premium (at 31 October 2018). Documentary evidence will be required at the point of test registration.
Eligible boys / girls who live within the Borough of Poole and/or Poole postcodes BH12, BH13, BH14, BH15, BH16, BH17, BH18 and BH21 3**.
Eligible boys / girls who live outside the Borough of Poole and/or Poole postcodes BH12, BH13, BH14, BH15, BH16, BH17, BH18 and BH21 3**, and who are currently entitled to the Pupil Premium (see Footnote 2) (at 31 October 2018). Documentary evidence will be required at the point of test registration.
Eligible boys / girls who live outside the Borough of Poole and/or Poole postcodes BH12, BH13, BH14, BH15, BH16, BH17, BH18 and BH21 3** in rank order of the entrance test scores, with those boys / girls obtaining the highest scores given higher priority.
H1278

Post by H1278 »

So last year everyone in catchment got in and the catchment hasn’t changed I think they wanted to take out some areas such as Merely but it was stopped. I think the biggest issue this year will be high birth numbers!!! I wonder if this was taken into account the pass mark was calculated?
Onedayonechance

H1278 wrote:So last year everyone in catchment got in and the catchment hasn’t changed I think they wanted to take out some areas such as Merely but it was stopped. I think the biggest issue this year will be high birth numbers!!! I wonder if this was taken into account the pass mark was calculated?
No you are mistaken, catchment for 2018 start was only borough of Poole. Catchment for 2019 was Borough of Poole plus Bh18 and BH21 3×× the consultation was triggered because Corfe Hills objected to the increased catchment area.

All the info is found below on the post about school adjudication and here
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... =immediate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Onedayonechance

This has a massive implication, not only on those in the new catchment area but the schools in the new catchment area and those outside it. I am surprised it wasn't more clearly advertised to the people it would affect.

Interesting that the boys Poole results are higher than the girls
H1278

Post by H1278 »

Ah yes that’s very helpful thanks. I really think a lot of people are unaware of these changes. As a result it may mean that girls in the priority area get a place however it’s unlikely that out of area girls will be admitted. And I guess it’s all down to how many girls passed in the new catchment area?
Onedayonechance

H1278 wrote:Ah yes that’s very helpful thanks. I really think a lot of people are unaware of these changes. As a result it may mean that girls in the priority area get a place however it’s unlikely that out of area girls will be admitted. And I guess it’s all down to how many girls passed in the new catchment area?
Yes, maybe this year there will still be ooc children getting in because so few of the new catchment area knew about the changes. I wonder how many schools are in this new catchment area, and what are the class sizes then at least we would have an idea about no of children. If I get time today I will look