School choices

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

rising star

School choices

Post by rising star »

A big thank you to all whose valuable guidance has helped my DS to clear this phase. Hats off to Sally Anne, anotherdad, guest 55.
We leave close to Aylesbury Grammar School so that is our first preference. However to fill up the 6 choices as advised by a friend to never leave them empty, what other schools should I go for, depending upon travel and my child's interests, I have the following preference. Kindly correct me if I am wrong

1) Aylesbury Grammar School
2) Sir Henry Floyd
3) DCGS
4) Royal Latin
5) CGS
6) ???

Much appreciate your help in guiding

Also a friends child who studied with my boy scored 114. Does he have any chance getting through after review or appeal? He was perfectly normal on that day and had a good school record in the past

TIA
Sally-Anne

Re: School choices

Post by Sally-Anne »

rising star wrote:However to fill up the 6 choices as advised by a friend to never leave them empty
That would normally be very sensible advice, but as both AGS and SHF allocate to many miles beyond catchment, you are perfectly safe listing just those two schools. You can list the others if it makes you feel better, but it won't come to that.
Also a friends child who studied with my boy scored 114. Does he have any chance getting through after review or appeal? He was perfectly normal on that day and had a good school record in the past
Last year 16/67 Review cases on 114 were successful. Not great, I'm, afraid.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Well done to your boy.

I don't think you need put anything other than the first two. You're certain to get your first choice anyway. You're too far from DCGS and RLS to be offered those in any case.

Have a good think about the decision between AGS and SHFGS. They are quite different.

Ask your friend to start his/her own appeal thread and I'm sure people will advise accordingly.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Also a friends child who studied with my boy scored 114. Does he have any chance getting through after review or appeal?
Tell your friend it depends entirely on the strength of his case.
Reviews/appeals have sometimes succeeded with even lower scores in the past, but presumably those concerned had extremely strong cases.
a good school record
Just how good is he? Is he on target to get 111-120 and GDS at KS2?

As advised above, we would be in a better position to help if your friend posted with more information in the Appeals section.
Etienne
rising star

Post by rising star »

anotherdad wrote:Well done to your boy.

I don't think you need put anything other than the first two. You're certain to get your first choice anyway. You're too far from DCGS and RLS to be offered those in any case.

Have a good think about the decision between AGS and SHFGS. They are quite different.

Thank you Anotherdad. Yeah SHFGS is not for my boy as much AGS would be. Its on distance basis that I've put it as my second choice. So fingers crossed he will get into AGS.

At this moment my friend is too demotivated I think after I suggested her to come here. Most parents around have lost hope of getting any positive results in the review/ appeal process :( Well time will tell.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I'm interested in why you think AGS would be a better fit for your son.

I agree that you only need to fill in two choices.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now