Bucks score vs slough score

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Gee9876

Bucks score vs slough score

Post by Gee9876 »

Hi everyone

I am posting on behalf of my friend who doesnt visit this forum.
Basically her DS has qualified for Bucks with a score of above 121, which she is very happy with.
BGS is the closest to her but her first choice would be Upton Court in slough as her other 2 children are there.

She says it seems that children always score higher in the bucks test than slough(even when they were both CEM) so is a bit concerned that he may not have scored high enough in the Slough exam to qualify for an OOC place.

Is there any truth in this? Do children generally score higher in the Bucks test than Slough?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you
Guest55

Re: Bucks score vs slough score

Post by Guest55 »

Could you remove the score please?
Gee9876

Post by Gee9876 »

I have added the score to get advice though? Is that not alllowed?

For Bucks the score is irrelevant as long as the score is 121 or above so we do not allow the posting of Bucks scores above 121. Moderator
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

No-one can really tell you at the moment - they are different tests standardised on different populations. She will know soon enough!
scary mum
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

They're totally incomparable.
statsdad

Post by statsdad »

The Slough and Bucks tests are supposedly designed to do the same thing - identify the children most likely to benefit from attending grammar school.

Consequently, even though they use different questions and different standardization procedures - there should be a strong correlation between scores on the two tests. This doesn't mean that children should get exactly the same score on each - it simply means that children who do well on one, should tend to do well on the other - in general. So if a child scores well above threshold on one - the will be a good chance that they will score above threshold on the other.

Given enough raw historical data - it would be possible to use scores on one to generate some fairly good predictions for scores on the other. But the data aren't publicly available - so the best thing to do is just wait until Slough release their results!

We're in the same boat - have a child with a Bucks result - waiting for a Slough result.
Gee9876

Post by Gee9876 »

Thank you all for the advice!
statsdad

Post by statsdad »

I will just add - our son told us he felt there was much greater time pressure in the Slough test. He struggled to answer all the questions in the allotted time.
If this was indeed the case – then your friend shouldn't worry too much if her child felt the Slough test was harder. If it was harder for everyone then standardization will mean you’d need a lower raw score to qualify.
Gee9876

Post by Gee9876 »

Yes sounds similar to what her DS said too.

She said last year the lowest OOC score to get into Upton Court was 115 so she’d feel better if he scores 120+
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

It doesn’t make sense really to try to compare; there are too many variables. My DD found sitting the test in an unfamiliar school, she travelled into Bucks (we were a non partner school) and she passed both Bucks and Berks, but scored much better in the Slough test numbers-wise. I knew she was quite fast, but this is the same child on two different days and I think the unfamiliar surroundings was what skewed her performance.
Her other friend who lives over the Bucks border passed the Slough test but totally aced Bucks (irrelevent as being in cachement, an over-121 was enough, only including because you asked about relative performance.) she sat the Bucks in her Bucks school.

So you have to accept that there is no hard and fast way to know: it’s just how they do on the day. Doing both Berks and Bucks is only worth it if you are one of the folk on the borders of both and within distance for the Bucks to be an achievable option.

Good luck for your results though.