Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
chris007

11+ appeals

Post by chris007 »

Hello,

Hope you could help me
My daughter was not selected for 11+, only because she had 105 in maths out of 107 required
Overall she had more than the required mark needed to pass 345 but felt 2 point short in maths.
Her results were
Maths 105
Reasoning 119
English 121

I want to appeal
I live in Crayford, close to the school
What are my chances?
Is it worth appealing?
How do I go about doing that?
Thanks
MummyMinion

Re: 11+ appeals

Post by MummyMinion »

I would say it is worth appealing as. You can put a grammar school down as your first preference. It will be turned down but you can then appeal against that decision. My friend's daughter had a comfortable pass last year (not as high as yours) but had 105 for English. She was successful and getting in to our closest grammar which takes kids on a simple pass plus distance. You are more likely if you can show that her usual test scores / school work are higher than 105 in tests at school.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Welcome to the forum Chris007.

You will get plenty of help on here and the appeals tab at the top of this page is a very good place to start your research. There's lots there to read and it's very well laid out and not daunting.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

here is the appeals FAQ link https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FortyNinePence

Post by FortyNinePence »

I’d take care in saying it’s worth appealing

Check Dartford and Wilmington’s record of letting in children on appeal that haven’t passed

It hardly ever happens

They only let in children that have passed, from OOC on appeal

Not fair, not right, but what happens
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

FortyNinePence wrote:I’d take care in saying it’s worth appealing

Check Dartford and Wilmington’s record of letting in children on appeal that haven’t passed

It hardly ever happens

The school doesn't 'let children in' as the result of an appeal. The school may be directed to admit a child by an Independent Appeal Panel if said Independent Appeal Panel upholds their appeal.

Even where academies organise their appeals (as opposed to buying in the service from their LEA or from another organisation), the arrangements must comply with the School Admission Appeals Code
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... y_2012.pdf.

Do you have concrete evidence that appeals for this school are conducted in a way which contravenes the Code?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Bexleyresident

Post by Bexleyresident »

I know of someone in recent years who didn’t pass the 11+ and got into wgsg on appeal.
FortyNinePence

Post by FortyNinePence »

ToadMum wrote:
FortyNinePence wrote:I’d take care in saying it’s worth appealing

It hardly ever happens

The school doesn't 'let children in' as the result of an appeal. The school may be directed to admit a child by an Independent Appeal Panel if said Independent Appeal Panel upholds their appeal.

Even where academies organise their appeals (as opposed to buying in the service from their LEA or from another organisation), the arrangements must comply with the School Admission Appeals Code

Do you have concrete evidence that appeals for this school are conducted in a way which contravenes the Code?
Concrete evidence would take months to gather so no

I did look into their records for 2016 and 2017 in some detail though

And anecdotally everyone knows round here that both schools for both sexes the chances of getting in on appeal if you haven’t passed are very very slim

But sure, you’ve got to be in it to win it. Just flagging it so as not to raise expectation
chris007

Post by chris007 »

Thanks for your inputs so far
I am a bit confused with the procedure
How many appeal are there?
Is it only through the local Authority or is there another body where we can launch our appeal?
Thanks
Peter

Post by Peter »

FortyNinePence wrote:

I see you come from Essex where practice may well be different. In some parts of Kent the appeal process is becoming unfit for purpose as panellists including those from KCC work with schools to bring about their aims. When you look at the evidence of outcomes it would be naive to think otherwise. That evidence exists if you look in the right places.