Would 406 get us a place at TOGS?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Reena79

Would 406 get us a place at TOGS?

Post by Reena79 »

DD has her heart set on TOGS. I’m assuming cut off jumped 12points in 2017 due to number of seats going down from 41 to 35. And it remained the same the year after. Is this correct?

Would DD get in at 406? We live in orpington - she got a good score for Newstead too, but she wants to go to TOGS (as her best friend is going there . but they have a much higher score)

Thanks
Reena
doodles

Re: Would 406 get us a place at TOGS?

Post by doodles »

Try the TOGS website in the admissions section there is an info for parents section which (a couple of pages down ) has a table of recent scores / places. Their website is very easy to access and has a lot of information on it that you might find useful. Sorry I can't post the link properly.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
pabloc

Post by pabloc »

Fantastic score..you’d hope so
Reena79

Post by Reena79 »

doodles wrote:Try the TOGS website in the admissions section there is an info for parents section which (a couple of pages down ) has a table of recent scores / places. Their website is very easy to access and has a lot of information on it that you might find useful. Sorry I can't post the link properly.
Thanks. I’ve seen the historic cutoffs on their website.
doodles

Post by doodles »

If you have read the historic data and all the information on OOC places, distances etc etc you will have to make an informed choice. Nobody, not even the school at this stage can say with certainty whether your dd will get a place.

I would forget where her friend is going and make the decision for your dd, she will make other friends and it is more important for her to be happy where she is at school. When you visited which school felt a better "fit" for your DD? Will she cope with the travelling? Is there something (other than her friend) which made her prefer TOGS?

Good luck.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
FortyNinePence

Post by FortyNinePence »

Orpington to Tonbridge is fast train and they’re v regular so very easy commute and TGS not far from station

DS at Judd & loads of his friends are from Orp

I’d be surprised if 406 OOC wouldn’t get her in
Reena79

Post by Reena79 »

Thanks all. We visited the school last year and we think it”ll be a great fit for DD. We liked Newstead too. It’s 15min walk from home - So it’s my preference from sheer convenience perspective. She half heartedly agrees - but she really liked TOGS.

I understand no one can tell for certain if our score can get a place, I was hoping to find reasons for cut off score jumping from 372 to 385 (in 2016) and then again from 385 to 395 in 2017 and then staying roughly the same in 2018.
FortyNinePence

Post by FortyNinePence »

Reena79 wrote:Thanks all. We visited the school last year and we think it”ll be a great fit for DD. We liked Newstead too. It’s 15min walk from home - So it’s my preference from sheer convenience perspective. She half heartedly agrees - but she really liked TOGS.

I understand no one can tell for certain if our score can get a place, I was hoping to find reasons for cut off score jumping from 372 to 385 (in 2016) and then again from 385 to 395 in 2017 and then staying roughly the same in 2018.
Fairly sure the reason for the jump was it winning the Sunday Times school of the year.
Reena79

Post by Reena79 »

FortyNinePence wrote:
Reena79 wrote:Thanks all. We visited the school last year and we think it”ll be a great fit for DD. We liked Newstead too. It’s 15min walk from home - So it’s my preference from sheer convenience perspective. She half heartedly agrees - but she really liked TOGS.

Fairly sure the reason for the jump was it winning the Sunday Times school of the year.
Thank you.
Isaac73

Post by Isaac73 »

Wow well done to your daughter. Someone has posted that the last OOC for TOGS was 392 last year. My daughter scored 395 and we live in Bromley. She's made the top 180 Bexley and has (I hope!) probably scored enough for Newstead.

However we've visited some schools a few times now and Tonbridge Grammar seems the best fit for us also and she loved it. With the cut off mark creeping up it seems a tad uncertain, especially as we are slightly further than Orpington etc.

So we'll wait until spring to find out. Oh how this whole process has been a joy!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now