Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MM73

Selection review

Post by MM73 »

Hello
My DS has 118 and very surprised.
I would appreciate some assistance as I have been looking into a selection review and am not sure how it works if the school does not have KS2

We are in catchment for a bucks GS school and my DS goes to a small prep school where only a handful of students took the test.

Any advice would me much appreciated
Guest55

Re: Selection review

Post by Guest55 »

Welcome!

What assessment data does the school have? CATs or any other standardised tests? Is the school a partner school?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome! :)

Have you read the links?

Start here.

See also this thread.
Etienne
MM73

Post by MM73 »

Thank you. The school does do yearly CATs , and no it’s not a partner school, so am worried that this will go against us at selection review as they do not have follow KS2. I have a meeting with the headmaster next week, to see what info can be provided

Should I be concerned if the acadmic evidence is based on the school exams and CATs rather than KS2

The form is asking for KS2 predictions

I don’t think the head has had to complete one of these forms before as not of the pupils take the test
MM73

Post by MM73 »

Hello

so I have some time to the see the HM on Friday this week - unfortunately he cannot do earlier

In the meantime I am looking at the section for Parents to complete and am I am stuck on where to start for step 4 - how much information to include, is it better to be short and brief.

if the HM is adding his recommendations, I'm not sure whether there is much to add certainly in terms of academic evidence

Any advice would be appreciated - perhaps someone who has been through SR before would be able to share ideas on what to put down?

regards

M
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Have you read through all the material in the links given above? They give very comprehensive guidance on what you should be including. As a rule, yes, it is best to be concise. Review panels spend little time on each case and you don't want important academic evidence swamped by lengthy passages about sporting achievements, merit marks, etc. Believe me, some people put some very odd things in their paperwork. Many years ago as I was waiting to be called in to my daughter's appeal, I was sat next to a mother and father who had a dossier of newspaper clippings, swimming certificates and the like. They even had a sports day medal with them.
MM73

Post by MM73 »

hi thanks

yes I have read through everything -its quite overwhelming particularly with the emotions in the mix! I think it may be just the "where do I start" thoughts where I'm stuck. Perhaps I need to just get something down on paper to get the ball rolling!

We'll see what the HM says on Friday as to how much support we have

:P
MM73

Post by MM73 »

Sorry also wanted to mention, my DS is one of a twin who did qualify in the 11+.

Having read some of the other comments regarding twins, would you say it is wise not to mention it and also is it worthwhile the HM mentioning it in his section, as they are both in the same streamed Maths and English sets

M
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

It's definitely worth mentioning.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The panel cannot take account of a twin - unless perhaps there is clear evidence of extenuating circumstances (e.g. evidence from school that one twin felt under considerable pressure to do as well as the other one).

(It would be different for an oversubscription appeal.)

See the Q&As:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b24" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne