Mock indicative of your child's score?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Rooroo

Mock indicative of your child's score?

Post by Rooroo »

Hi there. I saw many of your children took the mock in Shirley in the summer. I was wondering how this compared to scores and thought it might help others embarking on it ready for next year.

My DS scored 84% in the August mock.

Birmingham - 242

Walsall - 358

My thinking is they're quite consistent but I could be wrong.
Knitfaststaywarm

Re: Mock indicative of your child's score?

Post by Knitfaststaywarm »

Oh thats interesting Roo - my dd sat the same August mock and scored 84%
and 242.
We haven't had the Walsall results yet - do you know if all the Birmingham results went out on Friday?
Rooroo

Post by Rooroo »

Knitfaststaywarm wrote:Oh thats interesting Roo - my dd sat the same August mock and scored 84%
and 242.
We haven't had the Walsall results yet - do you know if all the Birmingham results went out on Friday?
Everyone one I know has had Birmingham results but so far I only know of boys who have had the Walsall/wolvo ones so I think the girls will get them tomorrow.

Oh wow exactly the same scores then. That is interesting.
Inner Chimp

Post by Inner Chimp »

No it’s not in our case DD scored 74% in last Shirley mock yet got 206 in Birmingham according to them she would have got a place on that percentage. Yet to see what Walsall brings but we’re not hopeful.
Think it’s an important topic actually because it gave us false hope just goes to show you can’t rely upon such mocks.
Knitfaststaywarm

Post by Knitfaststaywarm »

There's so many variables aren't there. My dd only sat one other - I will see if I can find the result (I think it was 54%) .

After the exam she said she had found it very tricky - so it's been a nice surprise. I think nerves can play a huge part in the results.
KH1970

Post by KH1970 »

My daughter scored 69% in the August mock and 224 in her actual 11+. Her friend got 222 in her 11+ and 73% in the mock. I think these mock scores were both in the some will get a place and some won’t section? Theoretically they could get into Handsworth and Sutton Girls with those scores obviously.
MSD

Post by MSD »

Rooroo wrote:Hi there. I saw many of your children took the mock in Shirley in the summer. I was wondering how this compared to scores and thought it might help others embarking on it ready for next year.

My DS scored 84% in the August mock.

Birmingham - 242

Walsall - 358

My thinking is they're quite consistent but I could be wrong.
That score looks pretty consistent Rooroo! If I remember correctly, Skylark's DC had a very similar score in Mock and real test. For both of our boys, it was reflective too. In essence, you will find children who are scoring 80%+ in Shirley mocks, won't suddenly drop down in real test, unless they just had a very bad day. Solid mock performers will more often than not do well in real test, it's only the borderline cases that may see erratic results.

One other thing to note is that only your well informed parents and children tend to take these commercial mocks, so the actual overall results and ranking may not be reflective of the real test. The good thing with Shirley mock though is that almost 1/5th of the cohort took it, so you do tend to get a better idea of success, looking at their ranking, as compared to some other mocks that are not as popular as this one.
Skylark

Post by Skylark »

Rooroo, great post.

August mock: 83%
Birmingham: 243
Walsall: 350++

I hope this will help other parents in the future.
Last edited by Skylark on Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rooroo

Post by Rooroo »

Inner Chimp wrote:No it’s not in our case DD scored 74% in last Shirley mock yet got 206 in Birmingham according to them she would have got a place on that percentage. Yet to see what Walsall brings but we’re not hopeful.
Think it’s an important topic actually because it gave us false hope just goes to show you can’t rely upon such mocks.
Fingers crossed for Walsall. Yes that must have been difficult. I didn't hold too much to their predictions because the friend who reccomened that mock centre told us her DD scored 86% on the final mock and didn't make FW.
Inner Chimp

Post by Inner Chimp »

Rooroo wrote:
Inner Chimp wrote:No it’s not in our case DD scored 74% in last Shirley mock yet got 206 in Birmingham according to them she would have got a place on that percentage. Yet to see what Walsall brings but we’re not hopeful.
Fingers crossed for Walsall. Yes that must have been difficult. I didn't hold too much to their predictions because the friend who reccomened that mock centre told us her DD scored 86% on the final mock and didn't make FW.
Thank you Rooroo I had hoped it would be indicative but too many other variables I guess. Well done to your little one though excellent scores.