Kent School Options

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Dejavus

Kent School Options

Post by Dejavus »

Hi All,

Wonder if anyone can advise on my query, my first time posting although I do read posts on here from Time to time.

Our son passed the Kent exam with 364 points and while its not enough to make us eligible as OOC (We live in Orpington BR5) area for Dartford based on previous years cut off, can we still add DGSB to our list of option?

Our second option is Wilmington Grammar which is 3.89 miles from where we live (according to the website, I assume school measurement would be more precise and therefore lower than 3.89) and I was told places were offered up to 4.5miles in the previous year and up to 3.9+m in the year before, although WGSB is a bit closer to where we live but he will be taking the same bus 477 but will travel a bit longer to get to Dartford.

If we would like to still put DGSB on our list of preference should it come first followed by Wilmington or vice versa ?

Lastly we are optimistic we hopeful we are able to get WGSB, should we consider adding other non grammar options to our list of schools just in case or any sense in leaving just the 2 options above?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-----------------------------------
Updated thread with moving house option
---------------------------------------------

Many thanks for all the help and advise, I believe I have left this too late. I mentioned in my earlier post that moving is not a feasible option but looking and thinking more about it now, moving might not be such a bad idea afterall.

Thinking more about it now, we have twins also preparing to take the 11 plus next year and if moving closer to the school will definitely give our son a better chance at being selected plus makes it easier for his twin siblings to get a place next year when they take the test also, I am now thinking maybe its not such a bad idea to move now. Although we are currently renting but thinking of buying and have been looking around the dartford, bexley area, we did view a few properties in dartford in the last couple of months but I beleive we wouldnt mind renting again if we can find a property with close enough proximity to the school maybe its not such a bad idea. My questions are as follow:

Firstly if we find and view a suitable property, how far out from the school postcode would definitely earn us a place if we move, althought we ll try to be as close as possible.

Secondly, how does one go about changing the parent address with KCC?

And lastly how feasible is it be able to move within this short spate of time, assuming we can move very fast with viewing and getting a lease, what kind of information would we have to provide to the council to satisfy the address requirement.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Dejavus on Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clawhit

Re: Kent School Options

Post by Clawhit »

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you need to look at other options. You have next to no chance of getting either school unless you relocate. The score would be good enough on previous years for IC but not for OOC at DGS and last year all Wilmington’s places went to boys in the named parishes and even then 12 still didn’t get in. Have you got anymore grammar options just trying to be realistic for you as I can’t see you getting either sorry.
Dejavus

Post by Dejavus »

Clawhit wrote:I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you need to look at other options. You have next to no chance of getting either school unless you relocate. The score would be good enough on previous years for IC but not for OOC at DGS and last year all Wilmington’s places went to boys in the named parishes and even then 12 still didn’t get in. Have you got anymore grammar options just trying to be realistic for you as I can’t see you getting either sorry.
Its good to be prepared for all options and we have certainly looked at other option should what you said happens to be the case. Unfortunately we were thinking of moving further into kent but this will be extremely disruptive at the moment and although he scored 590 in the Chatham 11plus cutoff is 492 I believe (we thought we would have moved by now) we are just too far out from any other school at the moment, chislehurst and dartford would have been another option for us but he scored 217, 1 point short although we have asked for a review through the head teacher. He unfortunately did not get selected @ St Olaves.

If distance is not much of a problem with other Kent schools, I might need to look at the possibility of travelling further but trying to be considerate about it seeing as he will be the one making the trips on a daily basis. Moving is just not feasible at the moment.

Thanks for your time to reply.
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

It's a good score but I don't think 364 will get you an ooc place for any Kent grammar, unless there is a sibling at Wilmington or Skinners', which you don't mention. They have really clamped down on out of country places, so there is a lot of competition for the few that remain. Ravens Wood is a good comprehensive for boys and I think you'd be in the catchment area if you're in Petts Wood? Or there is Coopers, which has a grammar stream: you'd need to register for their banding test.
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Tunbridge Wells Grammar School for Boys did eventually come out as far as Orpington on distance this year, as they had a bulge class: not sure if it reached as far as Petts Wood. There are fast trains from Orpington to High Brooms. You could always visit/ list it but definitely have non grammar back up options.
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

You need to return the Coopers expression of interest form to the school by this Friday (19 Oct) if you want to apply:

http://www.coopersschool.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://portal.coopersschool.com/CLG/We ... Items.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Looks as though part but not all of Petts Wood was reached by Ravens Wood last year - obviously you'd need to check out for yourself:

https://www.192.com/schools/details/bro ... ol/136517/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Because Coopers admits specific proportions by ability, the distance will vary for each group, but they certainly advertise around Orpington station.
Dejavus

Post by Dejavus »

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond in details. I ll hand in the Coopers form just incase anyway.
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Dejavus wrote:Thank you so much for taking the time to respond in details. I ll hand in the Coopers form just incase anyway.
A friend's son is there and really likes it. Obviously you'd need to list it on the CAF too. Good luck!
lefol

Post by lefol »

Hi Dejavus,

the whole process would appear quite daunting for now but I would suggest you list the schools in your true order of preference after visiting the open days , what your son likes, travel etc. You can put DGS down, but he may not get in on scores. You have a better chance with Wilmington and I can explain why. In 2017, Wilmington offered places to boys from Orpington on the distance criteria. When I queried this with Ms Owen, she explained that Orpington is closer on the maps they use compared to other areas in Bexley. My son was a few spaces down the list and the two above him where from Orpington and I know one was offered a space but we eventually took a space at Gravesend which is a fantastic school. You have to be realistic, but do not miss out on a space because others have said you have zero chance. The other thing to note is that Wilmington offers places to the top 15 boys that score high in the test and the maintain two lists ... distance and top 15% .. with the score you have he may get in on the first, second or third round on the top 15% or distance list. Give Ms Owen a call at Wilmington she is very nice and would explain the above to you in detail. Do make enquiries too with the other grammars accessible by train in Tunbridge Wells. Good luck
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now