Mock indicative of your child's score?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

SVK

Re: Mock indicative of your child's score?

Post by SVK »

Hi, August mock and Birmingham result for my dd and friends we know of:

76% 224
76% 230
84% 242
MLW

Post by MLW »

Hi my DD August mock was 89% and she scored 250+
MSD

Post by MSD »

From what I have seen so far they look pretty consistent. I received 4 more Shirley mock scores between 75 and 77% and these translated to SD’s between 222 and 237 - slight discrepancy here but in line with what other posters have reported.
MSD

Post by MSD »

By the way I saw a score of 148 in VR section. Must be quite an exceptional and one-off raw score to equate to that SD and probably the only one to get that sort of high raw. Quite unusual to have that high an SD
AK loving Dad

Post by AK loving Dad »

MSD wrote:From what I have seen so far they look pretty consistent. I received 4 more Shirley mock scores between 75 and 77% and these translated to SD’s between 222 and 237 - slight discrepancy here but in line with what other posters have reported.
DS2 was77% and 224.
MSD

Post by MSD »

Our stats on Shirley v KE Birmingham/Walsall

DS1 Shirley Mock in 2012 - 155/188, 82% and ranked 9th out of 181. He scored 235 in KE and 370 in Walsall.

DS2 Shirley Mock in 2015 - 210/244, 86% and was ranked 11th out of 458 students, but 4th out of 232 boys. He achieved 258 in KE and 371 in Walsall and ranked 36th.
PoppyPup

Post by PoppyPup »

Hi,

This will be a very useful post for those sitting the test next year. I was looking for similar information a few months back.

Aug mock 76 %
Actual score 232
MSD

Post by MSD »

Poppypup,

I saw your post earlier, which seems to have been deleted since. To answer your question, the way SD scores distribution works is that you will always get the same percentage of children scoring above or below a certain SD score, irrespective of the year the test was taken. So, it would be incorrect to assume there are likely to be more higher scores this year than previous years. However, it would be correct to assume that the actual cohort size this year went up by approx. 600 children, so the percentage of children achieving above a certain SD would also have gone up proportionally.

And what exact difference the additional cohort size will make to Camphill Girl's cut-off is anyone's guess. It really depends on how many additional candidates taking test were genuinely interested in Birmingham and weren't just sitting it as a potential mock to prepare for other regions. And, we don't really know which way the wind will blow this year, and how many parents will favour CHG over other schools and whether the trend of CHG being the number 1 choice for parents be similar to previous years. So, as you can see there are a lot of variables here. All we can reasonably assume is that all other things being equal, and going by previous year's stats, and additional 600 children taking test, the cut-off might go up by a very small margin - maybe a couple of points.
bewilderedofbearwood

Post by bewilderedofbearwood »

Hi, adding another score to the mix

June Mock result 77%
Test result 249.

I would recommend the mocks to others for the experience anyway as I think this helped reduce nerves on the day.
Evjrsolbhm

Post by Evjrsolbhm »

Very useful post. My DC took last 4 mocks in Shirley based center with
scores of 75%, 77%, 93% and 90% in the order of dates.

Scored 250+ in real test.