Advice on appealing with an English Score of 141

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
AnneofCleeves

Advice on appealing with an English Score of 141

Post by AnneofCleeves »

Can anyone offer any advice about appeals.

DD got 141 in the English and over the overall pass mark but bombed on the maths- not a true reflection of her ability/doesn't test well in maths. At school greater depth in Maths, 118 in CAT scores, passed the medway (537 - maths was weakest again). School are very supported of appeal and agree that her mark is not a true reflection of her ability.

We are hoping to appeal to MGGS and Invicta. Having looked at the long journeys to Medway schools, I'm not sure this is the right choice for DD work/life balance wise.

I'm hoping the exceptional English Score will stand us in good stead. Any advice warmly welcomed. Thanks
Sparklecat

Re: Advice on appealing with an English Score of 141

Post by Sparklecat »

How close was maths? MGGS and Invicta admit several dozen girls on appeal every year. I have heard of one girl who subsequently struggled, but most seem to thrive.
AnneofCleeves

Post by AnneofCleeves »

No where near close -83 :shock: Really not sure what happened. Panic, I think. Everyone in her class at school I know got much higher, 90;s at least, yet she was 3rd highest in her end of year 5 maths assessment (allegedly).
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome! :)

General advice on appeals, if you haven't seen it, can be found here.
Etienne
mystery

Post by mystery »

Any others you could try appealing to e.g. Weald of Kent Tonbridge/Sevenoaks? You can appeal even though not on CAF - just be a bit behind the others timescale wise?
AnneofCleeves

Post by AnneofCleeves »

mystery wrote:Any others you could try appealing to e.g. Weald of Kent Tonbridge/Sevenoaks? You can appeal even though not on CAF - just be a bit behind the others timescale wise?
To be honest, I think the journey to those would be too long. There has to be a work/life balance - she would have to give up her extra curricular activities if she went too far afield. I think her Medway result is high enough for Rochester Grammar but the number of buses/traffic/journey time would make it prohibitive.

We don't want grammar at any cost.

Just seems ironic that she can go to a superselective in Medway but not even Grammar in Kent.