KES Exam 2019 Entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
halsea

Re: KES Exam 2019 Entry

Post by halsea »

KES said to me that they are aware that some children get a place at the grammar schools because they have been coached relentlessly and then struggle with the work once in. Thats why they dropped the non verbal section, they are looking for great maths ability as shown by your workings out, not that you guessed the right answer, which some might have and brilliant creative writing and comprehension skills. They know the type of child they are looking for as they have done it for years.
bluejay

Post by bluejay »

All of my children are perfectionists and like to get things right. Hence they found the time speeded grammars tricky.

I recall that DS2 missed many questions out and he was upset when he came out of both Bhm and QMGS school exams in 2015. He achieved his first choice of FW on offer day with a 236 score. He would have also been offered QM on offer day as I believe the cut off was 320. I think he scored around 323.

So by not finishing the exams it showed he took care to answer what he did manage correctly.

He was offered a place at KES but we did not accept it for numerous personal reasons and we felt DS2 would be more suited to a mixed school.

With DS3 I told him to go as quickly as he could and if he didn't know the answer to guess.

He said he didn't miss any out and guessed when needed on both exams. I get the impression he was not as careful with his answers and maybe could have achieved better if he had taken that bit more care. I also got the impression after speaking to him now that once he got to the end of a section he didn't really go back and check the answers he had guessed and was just relieved to have answered them all.

So in hindsight which method was better? If DS on 234 gets into Five Ways on offer day, then I guess both methods worked and they both achieved a place.

These exams do not mean a great deal in the grand scale of things. One day in a 10 /11 years life will not determine their whole life. So if your DC is on the borderline like mine or didn't meet the score you thought they would, keep hope that there is something better and more suited out there for them.

Our DC should not have the pressure of feeling they have 'failed' at such a young age.

A parent pointed out that their child had not got into a grammar school but returned there later to take her A Levels. Now, that shows a lot of character and perseverance.

Well Done to all the DC and DP who gave it their best. That is all we can ever ask for.
Skylark

Post by Skylark »

bluejay wrote:All of my children are perfectionists and like to get things right. Hence they found the time speeded grammars tricky.

I recall that DS2 missed many questions out and he was upset when he came out of both Bhm and QMGS school exams in 2015. He achieved his first choice of FW on offer day with a 236 score. He would have also been offered QM on offer day as I believe the cut off was 320. I think he scored around 323.

So by not finishing the exams it showed he took care to answer what he did manage correctly.

He was offered a place at KES but we did not accept it for numerous personal reasons and we felt DS2 would be more suited to a mixed school.

With DS3 I told him to go as quickly as he could and if he didn't know the answer to guess.

He said he didn't miss any out and guessed when needed on both exams. I get the impression he was not as careful with his answers and maybe could have achieved better if he had taken that bit more care. I also got the impression after speaking to him now that once he got to the end of a section he didn't really go back and check the answers he had guessed and was just relieved to have answered them all.

So in hindsight which method was better? If DS on 234 gets into Five Ways on offer day, then I guess both methods worked and they both achieved a place.

These exams do not mean a great deal in the grand scale of things. One day in a 10 /11 years life will not determine their whole life. So if your DC is on the borderline like mine or didn't meet the score you thought they would, keep hope that there is something better and more suited out there for them.

Our DC should not have the pressure of feeling they have 'failed' at such a young age.

A parent pointed out that their child had not got into a grammar school but returned there later to take her A Levels. Now, that shows a lot of character and perseverance.

Well Done to all the DC and DP who gave it their best. That is all we can ever ask for.
Well said Bluejay and well done to your children. This first experience has certainly been an eye opener for us.
Raych

Post by Raych »

Bluejay :: such wise words, my daughter didnt do well in her 11 plus and to say i was shocked by her score of 194 is an understatement, she did say after that she guessed all of the comprehension hence the low score,, she also has taken KEHS and came out saying she found it much easier than the 11plus , she is more maths focused and said she completed all sections double checked with 40 mins remaining :shock: not sure if this will be a good or bad thing until results are issued !!

Does anyone on here know of a DC gaining a place at KEHS after not even getting qualifying mark in 11plus like my DD ( she really is an able girl and im not just a pushy parent that thinks DD is better than she is :o , her marks really dont match her ability)

any advice is welcomed
bluejay

Post by bluejay »

Raych: I have PMd you.

I don't know about KEHS but yes I definitely know of some children that have managed to get into KES and not getting enough for a grammar place.

I really hope that your DD gets offered a place at KEHS.
Rooroo

Post by Rooroo »

I think that KES do have access to the 11plus results as I remember seeing something about it on one of the forms. They are the sponsors of the academy trust too aren't they?

That said I doubt they would hold much weight to it unless for a very borderline candidate or perhaps when deciding between scholarship candidates?

My DS didn't manage to finish any section on his 11plus for Birmingham or Walsall (especially this one) appart from the maths which he had time to check answers. For KES he didn't feel any time pressure at all but found some of the maths incredibly hard which is unusual for him.

Does anyone know why the Chief Master suddenly left KES?
Inner Chimp

Post by Inner Chimp »

There was a box to tick on the Grammar application asking if you agreed to share your result with KES, so they do know. Call me cynical but I doubt they want to know just to data crunch.
Rooroo

Post by Rooroo »

Inner Chimp wrote:There was a box to tick on the Grammar application asking if you agreed to share your result with KES, so they do know. Call me cynical but I doubt they want to know just to data crunch.
Yup that was it!
lakings1900

Post by lakings1900 »

Raych wrote:Bluejay :: such wise words, my daughter didnt do well in her 11 plus and to say i was shocked by her score of 194 is an understatement, she did say after that she guessed all of the comprehension hence the low score,, she also has taken KEHS and came out saying she found it much easier than the 11plus , she is more maths focused and said she completed all sections double checked with 40 mins remaining :shock: not sure if this will be a good or bad thing until results are issued !!

Does anyone on here know of a DC gaining a place at KEHS after not even getting qualifying mark in 11plus like my DD ( she really is an able girl and im not just a pushy parent that thinks DD is better than she is :o , her marks really dont match her ability)

any advice is welcomed
We are in the same position. I know kids who did not get the grammer cut off score but are excelling at KES. My DS struggled to finish any section in the GS exam but finished all sections in KES. I'm still not sure if this is a good or bad thing.
halsea

Post by halsea »

Raych wrote:Bluejay :: such wise words, my daughter didnt do well in her 11 plus and to say i was shocked by her score of 194 is an understatement, she did say after that she guessed all of the comprehension hence the low score,, she also has taken KEHS and came out saying she found it much easier than the 11plus , she is more maths focused and said she completed all sections double checked with 40 mins remaining :shock: not sure if this will be a good or bad thing until results are issued !!

any advice is welcomed
Raych we are in the same position, my DD found the noise overwhelming in the grammar test and much preferred the KES test. She did say the maths part was quite hard and didn't complete it all and maths is her best subject. She did complete the rest of the KES test. Roll on December.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now