Selection Review

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

dadad01

Selection Review

Post by dadad01 »

Hello - I am in the process of doing a selection review and trying to make sense of what Pira and GL Progress tests are to give it some context. DCan anyone summarise and advise what the scoring system is?
Guest55

Re: Selection Review

Post by Guest55 »

The Head will need to explain them on the form as these are not very well-known and panels will not necessarily understand them.

https://www.risingstars-uk.com/series/a ... pira-tests" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have you read the information in reviews and appeals on here?
dadad01

Post by dadad01 »

Many thanks for this - have read the reviews info which is very helpful.

We had a score of 120 but KS1 all level 3 and Years 3-5 KS2 all top levels to date with a good CAT score in year 5 and strong predictions for KS2 and a very supportive head (albeit from an out of bucks school). Think our issue is we only moved into Bucks from another area for year 5 and the previous school did not do any real testing so trying to get as much hard evidence as I can. Essentially that's 1 CAT from year 5 and these PIRA and EL progress results. So in peoples experience do you try and stress those or rely on the more formal data
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The form asks for data in a specific format; have you seen it yet?

"Progress chart - Please record the Key Stage 1 outcomes using National Curriculum levels.

For the Key Stage 2 record, using your own assessment system for Years 3, 4 and 5, convert this to whether this child has not met (HNM), has met (EXS) or is working at greater depth (GDS) of age-related expectations.

For the predicted performance refer to Teacher assessment frameworks at the end of Key Stage 2: For use from the 2018/19 academic year onwards (published by STA) and grade accordingly, noting that this is a ‘complete fit’ grading system and that pupils need to have demonstrated consistent attainment of all the statements within the standard. For writing, where there is no national test, please include if the child is working at greater depth (GDS). For children working at EXS in reading and mathematics, please indicate a predicted scaled score range of (100-110) or (111-120)."

Then there is a section for other data - so have you got gaps in Year 3 and 4?
dadad01

Post by dadad01 »

Yes have all the KS1 info and all KS2 info for years 3-4 (from previous) and from year 5 at current school. All are the top bracket. When you say progress chart that is the bit the Head teacher fills in bit I presume - we have that completed by him along with predictions for KS2 performance July 2019 (again at 111-120 and GDS). So on paper all that seems good was just interested in if we should be including these PIRA and GL Progress results as well or without defining them is that not worth it.

In regard to years 2-4 when at a previous school is it worth including the school reports which have the full breakdown of age related expectations

Keen to get lots in without diluting the actual facts which seems to be the delicate balance
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You could add copies of the reports as an appendix - Is there a summary page of Y3/Y4 with the school name on as that is all you need?

If the other scores back up the data then, yes, they should be added with a comment about what they mean; the Head should do this.

Did the HT tell you what recommendation was given?
dadad01

Post by dadad01 »

Thanks so much so far - this is a life saver. I have the tick sheet from previous school for years 1-4 (just has sections above average / average/below average) but I will submit those as suggested - and full KS1 breakdown.

We are at an out of bucks school (although we live in bucks) and HT as given a recommendation 1:1 with some strong words. Have year 5 Cats (averages 127) as mentioned as well as these GL Progress and Pira (all over 130). I also have an entrance results from another school entrance exam which seems to be based on CAT system which are good. Should I include those or is that a bit unofficial?

Thanks again - this really is all a bit confusing!!!!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I wouldn't include anything from another school entrance exam.

How many of the 1:1s qualified? Is this a Bucks Primary of Partner school [these recommendations would have already been submitted and carry more weight]
dadad01

Post by dadad01 »

It is not a bucks primary or partner school - so the 1 and 1 have not been given ahead of time as with partner schools. IS being a non county / partner school going to be a big disadvantage in your opinion
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

IS being a non county / partner school going to be a big disadvantage in your opinion
The panel won't normally know whether an out of county school understands the standard required, and cannot judge the accuracy of the recommendations - so I'm afraid it could mean that the 1:1 wouldn't get as much weight as a 1:1 from a Bucks/partner headteacher whose recommendations in advance turn out to be realistic, e.g. ten pupils with a 1:1, eight of whom qualify.

However, what matters is the total picture, and your case appears to have some definite plus points in it.
Etienne