What Percentage should the kids be obtaining?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Scorch

What Percentage should the kids be obtaining?

Post by Scorch »

Hey,

I wanted to ask what should the kids be scoring in the Maths and Verbal Reasoning on the Herts paper, in terms of percentage so I have an idea of where he needs to get to, in order to be in the running for a grammar place.

The percentage on practice papers.

Thanks
shah_2008

Re: What Percentage should the kids be obtaining?

Post by shah_2008 »

at least 95%. its tough out there. competition fierce. also depends on distance to schools - inner and outer catchment area
loopylala

Post by loopylala »

shah_2008 wrote:at least 95%. its tough out there. competition fierce. also depends on distance to schools - inner and outer catchment area
Scores are standardised not raw scores so how were you able to determine "at least 95%"?

As the allocation day cut off scores have been a fair bit higher for Parmiters and St Clement Danes for the last couple of years, are you suggesting that they should be scoring close to 100% if they are aiming for Parmiters or St Clement Danes?
shah_2008

Post by shah_2008 »

basically, yes. the higher the score the better. its age standardised. a rough rule of thumb: 1 mark wrong (% terms, say 49/50) could equate ~2-4 points off the 282 maximum. its impossible to get the precise number.
watfordmum2018

Post by watfordmum2018 »

I think it depends what papers you are doing them (as the Herts ones aren't published) and at what stage you are at in your preparation. My daughter only decided she wanted to take the test in the April when you sign up. We started preparing then and at the start of the summer school holidays we did one of the Herts mocks at a school. She did really badly compared to the cohort, and I was at the point where I was deciding if we should continue as it was going to be a lot of work during the 6 weeks of holidays. She decided to go for it and did on average two hours a day for about 4 weeks of the holiday and she ended up scoring 225 on the test. It was a reasonable score considering her relatively short preparation time. I was so proud that she continued and put the effort in, she is now in year 7 at Parmiter's. My main point is that I think you shouldn't get too disheartened if they aren't scoring too high a lot in advance of the test. I know a higher score would have meant we didn't have the doubts of her getting in, but if we'd have listened to some of the high expectations on here then we may well have been less likely to continue with the test at all.
Droftaw

Post by Droftaw »

It’s very difficult to say, because you don’t know how the practice papers compare to the real thing in respect of difficulty.

Given what actually matters is the DC’s score relative to all others, another way to look at the issue is to think about the percentile your DC should be. When I looked at this a while ago I came to the conclusion that they should be aiming to be in the top 10% or so of those sitting.

Often organised mock exams will tell you the place of your DC.
watfordmum2018

Post by watfordmum2018 »

I just checked my daughters' score from the end of July mock. At that point she got a percentile of 20 for maths (44th out of 55) and 32 percentile (37 out of 55) for verbal reasoning (disclaimer for verbal was that she had not seen Cloze before and so that threw her-obviously we focused on Cloze after the test). Also it was her first and only mock and so she was also adapting to test conditions. This was about 7 weeks before the actual test. On the test day she came away with a 225. I think you need to consider how far in advance of the test you are assessing them and don't have the impression that all kids are hitting 90% a year before the test.
Droftaw

Post by Droftaw »

Precisely. Those percentiles showed that you had a gap to close ((compared to the others), your DD worked very hard and closed the gap. 225 probably put her in or close to the top 10 %ile.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now