Stressed Out Totally

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
DavidC

Stressed Out Totally

Post by DavidC »

I must say, the experience of helping my son to get into KEG school has been as stressful as buying a house if not more. The situation wouldn't be so traumatic if we knew that selecting a school other than KEG; there was a REAL choice, but there isn't one. The local comp nearest to us is OK-ish, but I suppose you have to have aspirations and do the best for your children. I wake up thinking KEG, go to sleep think KEG, it has taken over my life. Fortunately, I have not let this affect my son and just let him get on with the business of developing his test skills, he is enjoying and doesn't feel the pressure. I would like to say, the one thing I have noticed since I have become part of the KEG rat race, how secretive the whole process of getting/sharing information is. If it wasn't for this website, I wouldn't know half as much as I do today. Its almost like belonging to a Masonic lodge society. The real winners at the end of the day will the gifted children who get a place. Unfortunatley, there will also be children who get there because their parents have managed to swing things, or due to intensive coaching will pass the exams, good luck to them. As for me, I am stressed out, and I have another child to worry about in another few years time, but at least I will be more prepared and wiser to the challenge.
Mrs. KCS

Post by Mrs. KCS »

DavidC,

It's not easy but thanks to my sister in law who shared the 'secret Masonic chapter' we have two KEGsian children.

Sad to report to you that the 'greying' does not end at the entrance exams. Once in the rat race kicks off again with setting though this is somewhat less Masonic, more girls scouts!

Good luck

Post by Guest »

You are clearly not talking to the right people! I found out lots and lots of info from chatting at the school gates, but we live on the Kings Heath/Moseley border so it is a very common discussion to have. Haven't found people secretive in the least, just supportive in the main as we are all in the same boat.

Don't stress as once your child is at secondary it will all pan out okay - kids are kids and you get naughty ones at grammar school too - they aren't all angels. They swear and sit in Kings Heath park smoking, etc.

Hope your child does well on the day.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

It's seems that some areas have a tradition of discussing the 11+ more freely than others. Sometime this secrecy is stemmed by the primary school head's attitude, as it was the case for us.
As for the 11+ being stressing, that an understatement. I found last year that having to visit these excellent schools thinking 'will my child ever get there? was an excrutiating thing.

Best of luck
KenR

Post by KenR »

We went through all this last year and can sympathise - thankfully its all over for us.

The most stressful time was actually on the 1st March last year when all of the Birmingham parents had got their results and I found out that Worcs LEA had decided only to post their results by 2nd class post on the 1st. We only got the formally got our results on Sat 4th March!

Fortunately I had registered my preferences online so was able to persuade the guy in the LEA to send the results via email prior to that.

The moral - If you haven't registered your preferences yet make sure you do it online - you might just get the results on time!

But then there is the additional stress of waiting lists, possible appeals and finding out the scores from the KE Foundation Office - but that's another story!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now