The Mean....

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jurassic

The Mean....

Post by jurassic »

Hey peeps, does anyone know the previous three years mean for the respective cohort? I think I read somewhere that last year the mean was 200 but can't seem to find this key information now.

The mean this year is 203 so I think the overall qualifying mark will go up by three marks.
Zoot

Re: The Mean....

Post by Zoot »

As per my reply on the other thread. The final number is rounded from the 50% VR +25% NVR + 25%NUM sum. (I can see that from my child's results)

I therefore expect calculating a mean off rounded data will give a different figure than the underlying more precise figures.
darkmuseuk

Post by darkmuseuk »

I also posted on the other thread. The mean is 200 because that is what they have adjusted (normalised) the scores to create. Your child's final score is not just the sum of the questions they answered correctly, it has had some adjustments made to it based on a few factors.
Bartman

Post by Bartman »

Hi Darkmuseuk,
Are you saying that the mean is 200 each year?

(New to the site due to a borderline score for my son, trying to get my head round the implications!)
darkmuseuk

Post by darkmuseuk »

I believe so, if I read the information correctly, yes.
If you look at the table half way down this page you can see that Warwickshire have historically normalised the standardised scores to give an average of 200 and a standard deviation of 30. There's a rabbit hole of maths to follow if you haven't studied statistics :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleven-plus

200 = average
230 = top 15%
Last edited by darkmuseuk on Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jurassic

Post by jurassic »

Sorry for post here as well but post before hadn’t gone through on the other topic and new to the forum and now see it has. :shock:

I still don’t understand how they get the mean to be 200 when they take it from the actual standardised scores than actual scores. But hey ho just the waiting game continues...
jurassic

Post by jurassic »

Thank you darkmuseuk!
darkmuseuk

Post by darkmuseuk »

Sorry, when I said halfway down the page I meant this wikipedia article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleven-plus
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now