Parkstone Grammar School Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Jced79

Parkstone Grammar School Appeal

Post by Jced79 »

Hi,

Just looking for a bit of advice whether on it is worth appealing if the pass mark was 296 and your child got 294? It does say on the results letter that you can appeal through an independent appeals panel in March.

Thanks
hermanmunster

Re: Parkstone Grammar School Appeal

Post by hermanmunster »

To appeal you will have to put the school on the CAF, after allocations in March they will let you have the details of the appeals process. Worth collecting evidence of high academic ability in the meantime

also have a look at https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

have to say Dorset tends to be a bit quiet so not too much experience of appeals there but hopefully some people may have some specific info
bournemouthddasd

Post by bournemouthddasd »

I think it depends on how many other people passed. I’d try if there were mitigating circumstances, but I wouldn’t hold my breath! X
Jced79

Post by Jced79 »

We saw our daughter’s teacher tonight, as it was parents’ evening and she confirmed that the school do not support appeals, which is fair enough. We talked about her mock SAT results and at the moment, they are not as good as they could be. It seems our grounds for an appeal are vanishing into thin air!

Interestingly, her teacher was quite knowledgable about appeals to this school, as she had been through one herself with her own daughter several years ago, which was unsuccessful. She said that the appeal meeting was quite a daunting experience, during which they received an ‘intense grilling’.

It looks like our appeal (if we go ahead) will have to focus on extenuating circumstances only, which I know will make it even more unlikely to be successful.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Jced79 wrote: It looks like our appeal (if we go ahead) will have to focus on extenuating circumstances only, which I know will make it even more unlikely to be successful.

Just remember :
The basis of an appeal against non-qualification should be the overall strength of the alternative academic evidence. You might win an appeal with strong academic evidence but no extenuating circumstances. You cannot win an appeal with extenuating circumstances but insufficient academic evidence.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The only thing the Appeals Code specifies is:
i) that there is evidence to demonstrate that the child is of the required
academic standards, for example, school reports giving Year 5/Year 6
SAT results or a letter of support from their current or previous school
clearly indicating why the child is considered to be of grammar school
ability; and
ii) where applicable, that the appellant’s arguments outweigh the admission
authority’s case that admission of additional children would cause
prejudice.
Etienne
Jced79

Post by Jced79 »

Thank you for your replies. I will try to back up the appeal with academic evidence, if her SATS results are positive.

The last thing is, something rather serious happened with my daughter at school back in March (no fault of hers) which would be documented with the school and other authorities, as my wife and I attended a meeting with them. This incident definitely affected her learning and confidence (as it would any child) and I was thinking of also using this as a contributor to the 2 point shortfall.