When does an appeal panel actually make it's decisions?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sam's Mum

When does an appeal panel actually make it's decisions?

Post by Sam's Mum »

I was just wondering if anyone can tell me at what stage the decisions are really made. Obviously the panel members have all the information regarding each appeal before the hearings. Would they go into the hearings with a reasonable idea of which appeals they are likely to allow or would they go in with a completely open mind?

We had our appeal yesterday, were in and out in less than 15 minutes, and were asked very few questions, none of which were of any real consequence. So I'm thinking now that either they had pretty much already decided one way or the other, or that our case was presented in such a clear and thorough way that they didn't need to ask anything.

What do people think?
Bromley

Post by Bromley »

Hi, from what I understand they make copious notes during the appeal and then refer back to them to make their decisions once all appeals are heard.

Although this seems logical, I can't help feeling they will have fresher memories in their heads of the appeals heard last.

Also, and I hope one of the panelists who uses the site can answer this - how hard is it not to judge the parent/parents? We all know some people are very charismatic, some are used to presenting to people through work and training etc.

It is stressed the appeal are only judging the facts they are able to glean but surely, subconsciously, the appelants must have some impact.
Sam's Mum

Post by Sam's Mum »

Bromley wrote: I can't help feeling they will have fresher memories in their heads of the appeals heard last..
I hope so as ours was one of the last ones heard.
Also, and I hope one of the panelists who uses the site can answer this - how hard is it not to judge the parent/parents? We all know some people are very charismatic, some are used to presenting to people through work and training etc.
I think the panel would probably see through this (hope so as I'm not used to presenting and was very nervous going into the hearing) and would be able to see where people were really genuine even if they didn't have a slick presenting style.
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

The clerk to the appeal panel implied that the panel had already decided that there wasn't a real need for my daughter to attend our first choice school before we met with them.
I wish there was another stage in the process where the panel considers the written evidence and then contacts you and says - at the moment you still haven't demonstrated enough of a need, - allowing you to find more evidence, or saving you the time and energy of preparing for a fruitless appeal.
Grumpy!

Post by Grumpy! »

Couldn't agree more - if they could give you some idea at the time what the weaker areas of your case were in their eyes, you could probably answer them, either on the day or say within 24 hours - you don't want this to be a never ending process. At the end of my appeal, the governor representative read out what was a clearly prepared statement of their side of things - so she could not possibly have taken into account anything that was said at the appeal.

Really sorry that you didn't get your appeal, hope your child is happy at the new school.
Bromley

Post by Bromley »

Bougalou wrote:The clerk to the appeal panel implied that the panel had already decided that there wasn't a real need for my daughter to attend our first choice school before we met with them.
I wish there was another stage in the process where the panel considers the written evidence and then contacts you and says - at the moment you still haven't demonstrated enough of a need, - allowing you to find more evidence, or saving you the time and energy of preparing for a fruitless appeal.
As I understand it, the clerk's purpose is to take detailed notes of the procedings for the panel to refer back to - I don't think the clerk is instrumental in the actual decision making. Could this be a breach?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

From the Q&As D1:
[quote]There is absolutely no truth in the suggestion that a panel would have “made up its mindâ€
Etienne
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

oo er cross purposes me thinks!

I only deduced this from what the clerk told me when I rang up to question something in the letter of rejection. She was not involved in the decision process at all and I was totally satisfied that the process was carried out fairly

sorry to cause confusion
bouga
Sam's Mum

Post by Sam's Mum »

Apologies Etienne. I did read the appeal Q&A's when I first found the forum but in my state of post appeal hearing paranoia I completely forgot they were there. :oops:

And in case you thought I was questioning the integrity of appeal panel members, I really wasn't. I have no complaints about the way in which our appeal hearing was handled, our panel was thoroughly professional. I was just rather unnerved by the lack of questions, particularly when you say in your Q&A's (which I have now re-read) that you feel this is the most important part.

But there I go being paranoid again so I think I better go and set up camp by the post box instead! :)
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Don't worry - paranoia is quite normal! :D

Perhaps it would have been better if I'd written "........ Question and Answer session, or the strength of the supporting evidence".

It can be true that you aren't asked very much because the case is so clear. A lot of questions might mean that the panel have some serious concerns about your case ....... or it might not!
Etienne