Green bus

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Rooroo

Green bus

Post by Rooroo »

Those of you who have children using the buses do the routes change much year on year?

I have just spoke to them and they said they can't confirm the 2019-20 routes until Feb/March time when the schools send out the postcodes to them.
MSD

Re: Green bus

Post by MSD »

Yes, they made some changes to ours in 2018 and few more a couple of years back. Didn't affect my son though, apart from minor changes in the actual pick-up and drop-off times from his stop.
Rooroo

Post by Rooroo »

Thanks MSD. That's good to hear. My area is poorly served by the green buses, only available for FW. I guess though they would need a few children with the postcode for it to be worth changing.
MSD

Post by MSD »

Our route is fairly well served but I have heard of them pulling out of serving some less popular routes in the past. I guess it has to be commercially viable for them. They aren't cheap by any means Rooroo and do tend to take the scenic option, I guess to serve as many children as they can. You may find using public transport could potentially save a fair few pounds and time too.
Rooroo

Post by Rooroo »

Yes I've just had a look...around £800 for the academic year!!!!

FW is the only green bus option from here and takes 40 mins, can drive there in 25 so rather scenic yes. Public transport there would require 3 buses and 1hour 15 mins, so even worse. CHB is 2 buses and I suspect a similar time in rush hour traffic. HGS 2 buses at around 45 mins but our 4th choice atm.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

They can make changes which can have a significant impact.As an example the 873 to KECHB which used to run from Walsall now runs from Hampstead. Parents clearly then had to re figure their travel plans.

WGHS at one time used to have green buses but they stopped on economic grounds after a gap I believe 2 or 3 years then another coach company came on board running a number of coaches from Walsall,Stourbridge and from the north.

So be careful have alternative plans for travel should you need them.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Rooroo

Post by Rooroo »

quasimodo wrote:They can make changes which can have a significant impact.As an example the 873 to KECHB which used to run from Walsall now runs from Hampstead. Parents clearly then had to re figure their travel plans.

WGHS at one time used to have green buses but they stopped on economic grounds after a gap I believe 2 or 3 years.Then another coach company came on board running a number of coaches from Walsall,Stourbridge and from the north.

So be careful have alternative plans for travel should you need them.

Oh dear that must have been very frustrating for parents. Something to bare in mind thank you.
MSD

Post by MSD »

Rooroo wrote:Yes I've just had a look...around £800 for the academic year!!!!

FW is the only green bus option from here and takes 40 mins, can drive there in 25 so rather scenic yes. Public transport there would require 3 buses and 1hour 15 mins, so even worse. CHB is 2 buses and I suspect a similar time in rush hour traffic. HGS 2 buses at around 45 mins but our 4th choice atm.
We had to fork out around £1100, only because son had started Sixth form. Different price for that :(

They do have some early bird offers, so keep any eye on them. Do offer good discounts, if you mange to claim that very early spot.

Hmmn, it appears Green bus might be your best bet. Maybe have a chat with other parents during open evenings, and see if you can come up with a car share as there are bound to be others living close to you guys
Rooroo

Post by Rooroo »

MSD wrote:
Rooroo wrote:Yes I've just had a look...around £800 for the academic year!!!!

We had to fork out around £1100, only because son had started Sixth form. Different price for that :(

They do have some early bird offers, so keep any eye on them. Do offer good discounts, if you mange to claim that very early spot.

Hmmn, it appears Green bus might be your best bet. Maybe have a chat with other parents during open evenings, and see if you can come up with a car share as there are bound to be others living close to you guys
What!?!?! That's ludicrous!!! He's not taking up any extra space I can't see how they can justify that at all.

Yes, still living in hope of finding someone to take him. We shall see though. Looking forward to tonight's open evening.
bluejay

Post by bluejay »

Our son uses the green bus occasionally, to come home. We always drop him off in the mornings.

He has a swift card which enables us to be flexible. It costs £2.80 a journey. The service from FW, on many occasions last year had been late and when I called them (as it happened frequently in a short period) they really were not interested and made excuses.

Even with the early bird offer, it is such a lot to pay when you don't even know if the route will be changed and whether your DC will be participating in after school activities. There is only one bus a day for mornings and after school. If you miss it, you miss it.

Travelling to and from a school should be one of the most important points to factor in your decisions.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now