Advice on selection review and CAF please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ansaop

Advice on selection review and CAF please

Post by ansaop »

Hi,

I’m quite confused and need some advice.

DS achieved a score of 119.5 which was rounded down to 119. We live in Berkshire, very close to Burnham Grammar. That would ideally be the first choice. We have decided to go ahead with selection review. I have downloaded the pack and handed it in for the headteacher to add comments and write about his ability. Headteacher knows him very well and I am confident will provide an accurately strong reference highlighting his academic ability throughout school.
1. I wanted to find out if I should add anything more to the selection review documentation. Currently, there is a letter from myself, one from his school teacher and the headteacher form with evidence of some recent test results. (No mitigating circumstances before test, only the general nerves!)

2. In regards to the CAF. I will place burnham Grammar as first choice, is it wise to place one more bucks grammar that is close by as second choice and then some strong comprehensive schools? I guess what I am asking is, if the selection review is a success, is it likely that Burnham will be looked at first rather than the comprehensives on the list?

Thank you in advance!!
hermanmunster

Re: Advice on selection review and CAF please

Post by hermanmunster »

Answering Q 2 - the schools will be looked at in the order that you have them on the CAF. So if you want Burnham and are going for a review then put it first .

If you put it lower down the list and are successful at review you may well be offered the comprehensive higher up the list and your efforts re Burnham would be ignored as your application would not be considered.

If you put Burnham first and are not successful at review then it will be disregarded and your second place school would be considered to be your first
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Yes, definitely put BGS as your first choice: then any other grammar you would be okay with as second, and fill the other choices with comps in order of preference , at least one of which should be a “shoe-in” definitely get-it choice. This is to ensure you don’t get turned down for all of them and then allocated to an undersubscribed failing school that’s miles away.

Good luck with the selection review!
ansaop

Post by ansaop »

Thank you everyone for clearing that up for me!

:D
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I’m quite confused and need some advice.
I wanted to find out if I should add anything more to the selection review documentation
What matters is what is on the headteacher form.
"For a successful review we suggest you might need the following ....."
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... aneous#e32" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now