Absolute Quandary

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jbigtime

Absolute Quandary

Post by jbigtime »

Hello all,

First if all thank you to all of you for the incredibly useful information and support provided on this forum. You are all amazing!

I wonder though if you could give me some advice. I’m a mum to boy and girl twins who currently go to a selective independent school in Dulwich. I’m in the process of separating and we therefore decided to try for grammars in Sutton (as we will have to move anyway and independent is no longer financially viable for us.

My DD scored well in the Nonsuch and Wallington test with 322 so based on all of the info on the forum I guess I’m reasonably confident of a place (fingers crossed!!)

My DS on the other hand failed to clear the second stage at Wilson’s and Sutton which was a real shock. His 2nd stage Maths score was terrible and he’s in the top 3 or 4 in his year group at his current school and seemed pretty confident post exam...

He scored 99.5 and 100.5 in the SET for English and Maths respectively but unfortunately only got 65 in his second stage Maths.

What do you think I should do? He passed Wallington Boys and as I understand it the SET scores are restandardised for the second round so he should be in the middle of the cohort that sat the exam.

Any help or advice would be most gratefully received. It’s a really weird feeling, I’m overjoyed for DD whether she gets a place or not because she clearly performed well but gutted and confused for DS who is incredibly bright..

Thank you!
kprad35

Re: Absolute Quandary

Post by kprad35 »

I think he has good chance to get wallington boys based on the below, all 3 sutyon boys grammar schools are very good with very good A level and GCSE results.

Total passed for 2nd stage = 977
Total no combined places in 3 schools = 630.

As most of school give offer to twice the number of places so your boy have very good chance for wallington.
Wigham22

Post by Wigham22 »

This process is so difficult. I know of a boy who was getting 95% in the tests at his independent school and didn’t clear the first stage and again this has happened to a someone else I know in the second stage who had a maths level of 6a but didn’t clear. I think it’s the unfortunate nature of exam pressures.

I suppose there is the option of appeal but I think the marking is pretty robust.

Goodluck and I hope it all works out. X
kprad35

Post by kprad35 »

Yes Grammar school exams are getting tougher each year to make it tutor proof.but dont worry -your kids will surely get a grammar school in sutton.
Last edited by kprad35 on Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jbigtime

Post by jbigtime »

Thank you both! I guess an appeal is an option but it does feel kind of desperate. Plus there are clearly masses of super bright and able kids who absolutely deserve their place, so I wouldn’t want to come across as entitled just because I think DS is brilliant and special (I am his mum after all!).

Fingers crossed for Wallington I guess....
jbigtime

Post by jbigtime »

Plus I hate to say it but we haven’t actually discussed their results with them yet. Not entirely sure how to approach it!
Wigham22

Post by Wigham22 »

I would play on the positives that he has meet the standard for one excellent grammer. Who know what will happen in March. Have you also looked at Kingsdale? Good luck with it all x
jbigtime

Post by jbigtime »

You are right of course. It will be a shock for him as he’s always assumed he’s the brighter one. Lots of sibling tension to come...!
Wigham22

Post by Wigham22 »

It must be so hard with twins. He may have a chance at a scholarship at an independent school which could help finanally. Maybe look at ones outside Dulwich.
jbigtime

Post by jbigtime »

That’s a good idea. Thanks again. In Dulwich scholarships are tough because there is so much competition but he has a fair chance I guess at a less selective school. And it is challenging with twins but also a lot of fun. Their love/hate relationship is hilarious!