NonSuch or Colchester Grammar School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
LazyBee

NonSuch or Colchester Grammar School

Post by LazyBee »

Dear All - I am not sure which Region i should post this question :)

My DD has got marks by which she will surely get in Colchester Grammar School but for Nonsuch she 300 OOC. We are trying to evaluate which school to select. Is there any discussion there where i can have some comparison between these two schools or does anyone have experience or advise.

Regards
Last edited by LazyBee on Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
streathammum

Re: NonSuch or Colchester Grammar School

Post by streathammum »

Very few people will have experience of both schools so it will be hard to offer meaningful comparisons.

Where do you live now? Your score for Nonsuch may get a place on offer day but may not, so if you're not local to the school now and you put it at the top of your CAF, you won't know until 1 March whether you've got a place and then you'll have six months at most to move. Not something I would do.
LazyBee

Post by LazyBee »

We are OOC.... Sorry my DD score is 300 and not 310. If we need to move house should it be 31st October or can it be before December. One of my friend advised that we can move by Dec.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

LazyBee wrote:We are OOC.... Sorry my DD score is 300 and not 310. If we need to move house should it be 31st October or can it be before December. One of my friend advised that we can move by Dec.

What does it actually say in the school's admissions policy?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think if I were you I would go for the one nearest to where I live.

Moving at this stage is hectic, I don't know where you live now but where will your child go to school if you move next week? Bear in mind it has to be a proper move - not just renting somewhere in the area or giving a relative's address etc
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Do you currently live within travelling distance of either of these schools?

300 OOC is very borderline for Nonsuch. Their admissions policy says for the out of catchment places: "Up to 110 places linked to our catchment area circle. This will be in order of highest score to those whose permanent place of residence on 31 October 2018 (the deadline for submission of the Common Application Form) is 5.25 km or less from the front door of Nonsuch measured in a straight line."

So you would have to move by a week on Wednesday to be in catchment - assuming this won't be possible, your chances of a Nonsuch places are not great. You should not move to Sutton in the expectation of getting a place there. If you currently live within travelling distance of Nonsuch you have nothing to lose by putting it on your form.

The Colchester school might have a different cut-off for residence. You should look it up so you know exactly what it says.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

streathammum wrote:Do you currently live within travelling distance of either of these schools?

300 OOC is very borderline for Nonsuch. Their admissions policy says for the out of catchment places: "Up to 110 places linked to our catchment area circle. This will be in order of highest score to those whose permanent place of residence on 31 October 2018 (the deadline for submission of the Common Application Form) is 5.25 km or less from the front door of Nonsuch measured in a straight line."

So you would have to move by a week on Wednesday to be in catchment - assuming this won't be possible, your chances of a Nonsuch places are not great. You should not move to Sutton in the expectation of getting a place there. If you currently live within travelling distance of Nonsuch you have nothing to lose by putting it on your form.

The Colchester school might have a different cut-off for residence. You should look it up so you know exactly what it says.
CoLCHS has no catchment. The OP's DD stands as much or as little chance of a place from next door to the school as from Cheam, or from Glasgow, for that matter. There is no pressure to move at all - their DDs can join the other girls with horrendous journeys dozing at the back of the class, summoning up the energy for the coach trip back home :).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx