Anyone know how many sat the Crossley/NHGS exam?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mum-of-two

Anyone know how many sat the Crossley/NHGS exam?

Post by mum-of-two »

Just that really. I have heard that it was a baby boom year and the numbers were significantly higher this year (certainly the case for those sitting at Heckmondwike).

The results are out later than ever and wondered if that was, in part, due to the extra marking required!
mum-of-two
mitasol

Re: Anyone know how many sat the Crossley/NHGS exam?

Post by mitasol »

Sorry - I've not heard any numbers for this year. I have to say that every year there are wild rumours of large increases but it usually turns out to be just a small increase year on year.
mum-of-two

Post by mum-of-two »

I haven't phoned - I am sure they are stressed out enough with everyone chasing results.

I figured that the candidate numbers were in alphabetical order and a friend's DS was a 'W' surname and he was 596 at Crossley. Assuming a similar number at NHGS I figured around the 1200 mark.

I do agree with you *mitasol* that there are always rumours of large numbers.

I have heard from a reliable source that about 1100 sat for Heckmondwike though this time and it was about 850 2 years ago.
mum-of-two
Hebden

Post by Hebden »

I believe in past years it has always been around the 1,000 mark, if you were to email Calderdale admissions they would confirm how many sat the exam this year. I suspect the later publication of the results is possibly down to the “new” style exam with an English paper being marked by hand, which is taking longer to mark than the former exam that was mainly multiple choice, plus they are probably hanging on for the results from the second sitting, which has now been brought forward from December, so a child’s rank will not move after the issue of the results. Good luck to your child, we have two children at Crossley Heath who love it there, if that is one of your options I can recommend! x
mum-of-two

Post by mum-of-two »

Thanks Hebden

We already have a confirmed place at Heckmondwike (which I loved but is an inconvenience, but not unreasonable, travel) but really hoping for a high enough ranking for Crossley as that is walking distance from home. Just waiting on the envelope to land....

I take it the new Head has settled in well - my DS has his heart set on Crossley but to be honest he'll be happy wherever he ends up! It's good to hear positive things about the school.
mum-of-two
Hebden

Post by Hebden »

That would be ideal if your son will be able to walk to school! It was very much business as usual with the new head, we didn't notice any change really. Not long to go now until the envelope lands, having been there twice I feel your pain!
Nosbigarual

Post by Nosbigarual »

I was told that last year there was around 1400 and this year about 1600 sitting the exam. It certainly seemed like around 800 at each school on the day.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I just had a quick look through the threads and last year the figure was reported as 1050 sitting the test which was up slightly from 1017 the year before.

From the CH FAQs https://www.crossleyheath.org.uk/admissions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
How many children sit the exam each year?
On average approximately 1000 children sit the exam each year.
mum-of-two

Post by mum-of-two »

After hearing yet another ridiculous anecdotal number I decided enough was enough and phoned Crossleys yesterday. I have it direct from the school that just under 1200 sat the exam. Not 1800 or 2000 as I have heard. I know that has gone up from last year (I recall something like 1050 for 2017).

Entrants increasing year on year and PAN stable at 360 makes each year harder to make the grade. I feel for my DD who has it to sit in 2020!

Well done for all of those who made the 'magic 500'. Will be interesting to see where the final cut off is this year.
mum-of-two
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Thanks for the information, mum-of-two.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now