Colyton Grammar admission

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Perplexed Mum

Colyton Grammar admission

Post by Perplexed Mum »

:?

Has any parent/carer any information regarding COLYTON GRAMMAR school in Devon? I'd be ever so grateful to know a little bit more about how stringent their 11+ tests are in relation to say, Torbay Grammar Schools. Is there any difference in the pass marks needed, etc... Many thanks in advance if any one knows anything relevant! :roll:
Passerby

Post by Passerby »

Dear Perplexed,

Colyton Grammar School conducts exams in 3 subjects: Verbal Reasoning, Maths & English - all set by NFER & all Multiple Choice.

Of all the other local schools only churston ferrers grammar school has all three exam subjects.

devonport high school for boys does Maths and Verbal Reasoning only
devonport high school for girls does Maths and Verbal Reasoning only
torquay boys grammar school does Maths and English only
plymouth high school for girls does Maths and Verbal Reasoning only

Hope this is the information you sought.

PB
Perplexed Mum

Colyton grammar

Post by Perplexed Mum »

:roll: Thank you for your reply, Passerby. What I really wanted advice on was the percentage score marks required to pass for Colyton. If any one has any details please??? :roll:
Passerby

Post by Passerby »

Dear Perplexed,

The scores are standardised and so the pass mark depends on both the calibre of the applicants that year and on the your child's age at the time of sitting the 11 plus exam. As a rule of thumb aim at a minimum of 85% in each subject.

For more information on standardisation see:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/standa ... scores.php

PB

Post by Guest »

I was trying to find out the same information in a different part of the forum. I know that Colyton aims to take the top 25% of (national) ability range (which is not the same as the top 25% performimg the test on the day).

If you look on the NFER website (11+ section) this is equal to a standardised score of between 110 and 111.

Although it is impossible to state EXACTLY what percentage is needed, angelz from Lincolnshire, whose schools also select the top 25% helpfully listed the % marks needed in 2005 (I think the head told them at an open evening), so i would expect Colyton to need the same. Hope this helps.

angelz wrote:
Although the scoring system is rather complicated, (See posts relating to standardised scoring) in Lincolnshire the Grammars also look for the top 25%. I have been told as a rough guide that the scores should be around 75% + VR and 45/60 NVR. However the NVR test actually had 65 questions and this was the first year NVR had been used. I don't know how the tests in your area are affected by weighting and you also have an extra test. Sorry I cant be of more help but it might give you a rough idea.
angelz
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now