WCGS Chances

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
LastChoice

WCGS Chances

Post by LastChoice »

Unique case - We moved back to Sri lanka last year, but my new office wants me to take on a role in UK from next year. Thankfully they told us in August, so we were able to fill in the SET application form for Sutton grammars and were able to come down and write the exams. We practiced on some Bond papers and were not counting us getting in but were pleasantly surprised. He cleared the SET and was offered at WCGS and also wrote the second round for Wilsons & SGS. He did Not clear either of them and was in 272 band, and i believe the cut off was 276.

Scores from the mail from SGS

60% of his SET English standardised score of 97.20,
60% of his SET Maths standardised score of 82.36,
90% of his Second Stage English standardised score of 99.05,
90% of his Second Stage Maths standardised score of 85.18,

giving a total score of 273.55 (a band score of 272). Please note that band scores are calculated to the nearest four marks.

So a few questions:

1) Is there a chance to get WCGS on March 1st?
2) Should we appeal to SGS for a place?
3) If i put in only WCGS in the CAF form - as thats the only test we were able to write and will likely move nearer to the school.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
LastChoice

Re: WCGS Chances

Post by LastChoice »

Any thoughts anybody?
jbigtime

Post by jbigtime »

Hi there, we are in the same position for DS so have been investigating this fairly intensively. WCGS will not look at 2nd stage scores only first stage so if the median score is 200 you can get an idea of where your DS sits amongst the 980ish boys who sat the second stage.

As I understand it there was quite a lot of waiting list movement for WCGS last year and there is a freedom of information request that says that their lowest offer was a set score of 216 (which your DS would have achieved as scores are restandardised for the second stage. And also remember there will be a number of boys who passed the test but have no intention of applying to WCGS.

So I guess there is a chance if not on offer day perhaps later in the summer on the waiting list. You would have to put Wallington as your first choice I guess.

There is more really useful info from various forum members on the ‘Absolute Quandary’ thread which I started yesterday to get some insight from those more experienced in all of this....
LastChoice

Post by LastChoice »

Thanks jbigtime. This really helps.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now