multiple choice vs traditional format

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
boltew

multiple choice vs traditional format

Post by boltew »

My son's in year 5 and is currently being tutored for Tiffin's.
I'm aware that the Tiffin test is multiple choice. I want to buy some extra papers for him to practice on and would like some advice on whether I should buy the 'traditional format' papers or the 'multiple choice'.
His tutor hasn't given him any multiple choice papers to work on yet but I believe that she will be introducing this at some stage.

Also, I have downloaded The Tutors' Method & Technique Course which lists 21 question types. For Tiffin's, are these the only question types he should be concentrating on ? (I believe the Tiffin exam is NFER)

Many thanks
B
andyb

Post by andyb »

I would get him papers in the same format as the ones he will be sitting.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Boltew

Yes, As Tiffins is Multiple Choice, then that is the preferred format for practice. There are different techniqes for approaching M/C.

Take a look at my post on the following thread [taken from the Bucks section, Tiffins use the same 21 types of Verbal Reasoning] it shows the relevant publishers.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=4782

Patricia
boltew

Post by boltew »

Thanks Patricia.

That's very useful information.

I wonder why his tutor has not been using multiple choice papers?

When we went on holiday at Easter, I purchased some M/C papers to take with us but my son refused to even attempt them because they were of a different format to that used by his tutor! (Or maybe that was just his excuse for not wanting do do them!!)

B
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Boltew

I would be asking your tutor some very serious questions. Make sure they are using the correct publishers and are only teaching the 21 types of VR.

Patrica
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

I have heard people say that some tutors/parents like to get their kids to practice on the standard format to begin with - even if they will eventually be sitting multiple choice papers. The reason is apparently that they feel children have to think more - ie they have to work out the right answer from scratch, rather than looking at the five options and perhaps guessing. I don't know if this approach is right or wrong but it may be the approach your tutor has decided to take.

I would say it is hugely important to practice multiple choice papers if that is the format your son will be tested in. There are quite a few tricks to be learnt which can save time. Sometimes you don't have to work out the whole answer and then look to see if it's listed in the options. For example, if you're trying to crack a code, you might work out a few letters, keeping an eye on the possible answers and might realise before you've worked out the whole answer that, with the letters you've got so far, there's only one possible answer (does that make sense?!). Or you might be able to eliminate answers quickly as they're clearly not right so that, if you have to guess, you've narrowed your options down to 2 or 3. VR can be quite time-pressured so anything that saves a minute or two is worth knowing!
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Multi-guess.

The strategy is different when using MultiGuess and its makes some questions considerably easier!

Good luck

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
boltew

Post by boltew »

Patricia,

I am slightly concerned now about my son's tutor. I went out at the weekend and bought the IPS technique books in order to familiarise myself with the 21 different types. I also looked at the Susan Daughtrey's technique books (knowing that there are more question types here than there are in the IPS book). What I realised when I got home is that our tutor has been teaching some of the techniques that my son will not be tested on. i.e. some of the techniques that I saw in the Daughtrey's books but not in the IPS book. She has covered a lot of the questions in the IPS book but my son and I went through each question type and he identified 3 types that he had not seen before.

The last two lessons she has been covering english grammar and will also spend some time doing maths for a few weeks. This means that my son won't be doing any verbal reasoning tests for a while. She knows that we are trying for Tiffin's so I don't know why she is teaching english and maths (my son is already SATS level 5 in maths so doesn't need any extra help).

As this is my first time with a tutor, is this normal? Am I right in being worried? Also, should he be doing lots of non-verbal reasoning tests?

Thanks,
B
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Boltew

I am a Tutor from Bucks. My parents employ me to teach their children to pass the Bucks 11 plus, nothing else. I keep to the 21 types in M/C format. I include some extra vocabulary work [flash card system] and some maths [but only the 4 operations] I found this forum a couple of years ago by chance. A so called 'expert' on Bucks was passing on totally inappropriate information for the Bucks test, I just had to reply...

As a parent you are employing your tutor to teach your child to pass the Tiffin test. You have every right to 'confront' this tutor, asking them why they are teaching your child 35 plus types of VR [when only 21 are required] and in the wrong format.

Have you thought of DIY, it is perfectly possible, in fact most people who visit this forum do so.

There are many forum members who can help you through the process. Have you looked at the Surrey section for more details on the Tiffin schools?

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... m.php?f=30

Whatever you decide, good luck.

Patricia
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now