11 plus results 2018

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
uk174

11 plus results 2018

Post by uk174 »

Morning everyone,
I just wanted to get some feedback on the results this year, my daughter scored 212 which was lower than we were expecting considering she had been scoring consistently higher in her assesments at her tutor group.
I guess what we are trying to guage is whether or not she stands a chance at getting into a grammar school, and we have heard from several local sources that the results have been lower this year. However that is a localised response and we were just trying to get a wider response.
Any feedback received will be greatly appreciated .
Tinkers

Re: 11 plus results 2018

Post by Tinkers »

uk174 wrote:Morning everyone,
I just wanted to get some feedback on the results this year, my daughter scored 212 which was lower than we were expecting considering she had been scoring consistently higher in her assesments at her tutor group.
I guess what we are trying to guage is whether or not she stands a chance at getting into a grammar school, and we have heard from several local sources that the results have been lower this year. However that is a localised response and we were just trying to get a wider response.
Any feedback received will be greatly appreciated .
Where are you based and what schools are you looking at?

I (or another mod) can move this post into the correct geographical area for you and you can then get more useful replies.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Welcome to the forum !

which area are you in ? scores / exams vary by area and I can move your post the appropriate region where you may get more help

ETA - oops X-posted with Tinkers

EATA: looks like Birmingham - will move this thread and merge
uk174

11 plus results 2018

Post by uk174 »

Good morning all,

I just wanted to get some feedback on the general results for this year. My daughter scored lower than expected achieving 212 which was considerably lower than her assesments and a surprise to us and her tutor. After having spoken to other parents locally it would seem that this years results seem lower or am i just trying to be hopeful?
I am not quite sure if she has an outside chance of securing a grammar place and would really appreciate any feedback at all from other parents.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi uk174 - welcome to the forum, I have merged your posts on B'ham forum as you are likely to get more information there.

No-one knows what the cutoffs will be in March next year, the only likely thing is that they will not be much different year on year - as of allocation day this year they were as follows:
Cut offs from Bham LA/Foundation (PP cut off in brackets was for pupils eligible for free school meals only)

Not all children on these scores will have received a place - if there is a tie in on the last score, places are allocated according to distance.

KE CH Boys: 242 (229) - up by 2 points
KE CH Girls: 236 (219) - up by 1 point
KE Five Ways: 232 (207) - down by 1 point
KE Handsworth (Girls): 224 (209) - up by 2 points
Bishop Vesey: 222 (204) - up by 2 points
KE Aston: 220 (205) - down by 2 points
Sutton Coldfield Girls: 218 - up by one point
KE Handsworth Grammar (Boys): 208 - same as last year

QMGS school confirmed cut-off is 337 - up by 13 points
QMHS school confirmed cut-off is 320 (300 for PP) - same as last year
looking at waiting list info there were some offers at the beginning of term for Sutton on 214/215 but don't think that there were any non PP girls places at a lower score than that
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

uk174 wrote:Good morning all,

I just wanted to get some feedback on the general results for this year. My daughter scored lower than expected achieving 212 which was considerably lower than her assesments and a surprise to us and her tutor. After having spoken to other parents locally it would seem that this years results seem lower or am i just trying to be hopeful?
I am not quite sure if she has an outside chance of securing a grammar place and would really appreciate any feedback at all from other parents.
I would look at Sutton Coldfield Grammar school for Girls and put that as your number one choice.This is provided your dd is able to travel to and from the school reasonably easily.It is difficult but there is a outside possibility she may get a place from the waiting list.The last two years cut offs were 217 and 218 in March and if it is similar this year you are hoping the waiting lists move by at least 5 or 6 points.The scores generally move by 3 to 4 points.But in the past looking over 6 or 7 years there have been points when 212 was sufficient.

Actual marks are standardised and the range is broadly similar year on year.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
KenR

Post by KenR »

I’ve consolidated all of my the lowest pass marks on national allocation day for all Birmingham consortium grammars since 2005 into the “sticky” at the top of this forum section - you will be able to assess the variations in pass marks over the years.
sallygill

Post by sallygill »

Hi guys

Congratulations to all the children for working so hard!

My son scored 231 and I’m not sure whether he would get into Five Ways with that scorer. Any ideas? Handsworth Boys is a fantastic school too, but difficult in how to make my choices..... help!

Thanks
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

sallygill wrote:Hi guys

Congratulations to all the children for working so hard!

My son scored 231 and I’m not sure whether he would get into Five Ways with that scorer. Any ideas? Handsworth Boys is a fantastic school too, but difficult in how to make my choices..... help!

Thanks
no-one knows what the cutoff scores will be on March 1st or how much WL movement there will be. The usual advice is t put the school you want first - so KEFW first and then others afterwards, if you don't get KEFW then it will not affect your chance of getting your second place school