Advice on Results needed Please for application process

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
jym

Advice on Results needed Please for application process

Post by jym »

Hi

My son sat both exams Bham and walsall/Wolverhampton. Our 1st choice of school is queen marys boys. The result for walsall test is 330 and bham is 211. We are based in wolverhampton we would want to put down queen marys as our first choice of school.. from any past experience can anyone advise what his chances will be for getting a place at queen marys. We are not sure what to do for the second place so any advice on this would be grateful, is there any chance he can get a plce in one of the schools with a result of 211 we are not on pupils premium. Thanks any help advice much appreciated
hermanmunster

Re: Advice on Results needed Please for application process

Post by hermanmunster »

The scores we have from last year are as follows:
KE CH Boys: 242 (229) - up by 2 points
KE CH Girls: 236 (219) - up by 1 point
KE Five Ways: 232 (207) - down by 1 point
KE Handsworth (Girls): 224 (209) - up by 2 points
Bishop Vesey: 222 (204) - up by 2 points
KE Aston: 220 (205) - down by 2 points
Sutton Coldfield Girls: 218 - up by one point
KE Handsworth Grammar (Boys): 208 - same as last year

QMGS school confirmed cut-off is 337 - up by 13 points
QMHS school confirmed cut-off is 320 (300 for PP) - same as last year

Secondly, the information we have, in good faith, from parents, regarding waiting list movement:

KECH Boys: 235 was 38th on the list on 28 March. 241 offered from waiting list in June (last score).

KECH Girls: 235 was offered a place on 28 March. 231 last offered from waiting list.

KE Five Ways: 229 was offered on 26 April, 228 was also offered as last score in, having been 65th on wait list.

KE Handsworth (Girls): 220 was offered in July. 219 last score offered from wait list.

Bishop Vesey: 219 was offered on 17 May.

KE Aston: 216 was offered on 16 May. 213 was offered on 5 September.

Sutton Coldfield Girls: 214 was offered in July.

KE Handsworth Grammar (Boys): 205 offered on 21 August.

Queen Mary's Grammar (Boys) - 333 was offered from waiting list.

Queen Mary's High (Girls) - 314 offered from waiting list.
it looks like you are a bit below the cutoff for QMGS (which had a big jump last year - who knows what it will be this year_

KE Handsworth Grammar offered at 208 on March 1st
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

hermanmunster wrote:The scores we have from last year are as follows:

Secondly, the information we have, in good faith, from parents, regarding waiting list movement:

KECH Boys: 235 was 38th on the list on 28 March. 241 offered from waiting list in June (last score).

KECH Girls: 235 was offered a place on 28 March. 231 last offered from waiting list.

KE Five Ways: 229 was offered on 26 April, 228 was also offered as last score in, having been 65th on wait list.

KE Handsworth (Girls): 220 was offered in July. 219 last score offered from wait list.

it looks like you are a bit below the cutoff for QMGS (which had a big jump last year - who knows what it will be this year_

Have you thought of Adams grammar school in Newport ? Last year boys with a score of 325 out of area gained a place.I believe from what I have read on the forum there is also a bus going from Wolverhampton others or the school maybe able to give you more information on this.Why don't you try speaking to the admissions officer on (01952) 953810 and gain more information and see if its possible to visit with your son.Why don't you also call KE Handsworth on 0121 554 2342 and see if you can arrange to go round the school with your son

I would put QMGS first on your list only if its your first preference in the hope of a place based on last years movements without any expectations.Then decide between the other two schools by putting them second and third.Based on last year you will probably get places on offers day in March at both schools if not from the waiting lists.The information on waiting lists is more difficult from previous years as they have just started giving results at Adams. At Handsworth the cut offs have gone much lower than 208 in the last couple of years.

I am making the assumption you have ticked the box for Adams in the consortium application form.If you haven't you could get placed on the waiting list for the school after offers day in March by speaking to the local authority.

Good luck

/
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
jym

Post by jym »

jym

Post by jym »

quasimodo wrote:

Have you thought of Adams grammar school in Newport ? Last year boys with a score of 325 out of area gained a place.I believe from what I have read on the forum there is also a bus going from Wolverhampton others or the school maybe able to give you more information on this.Why don't you try speaking to the admissions officer on (01952) 953810 and gain more information and see if its possible to visit with your son.Why don't you also call KE Handsworth on 0121 554 2342 and see if you can arrange to go round the school with your son

I would put QMGS first on your list only if its your first preference in the hope of a place based on last years movements without any expectations.Then decide between the other two schools by putting them second and third.Based on last year you will probably get places on offers day in March at both schools if not from the waiting lists.The information on waiting lists is more difficult from previous years as they have just started giving results at Adams. At Handsworth the cut offs have gone much lower than 208 in the last couple of years.

I am making the assumption you have ticked the box for Adams in the consortium application form.If you haven't you could get placed on the waiting list for the school after offers day in March by speaking to the local authority.

Good luck

Hi

Thanks for the info, I contacted Adams and I was told if I can't personally bring my son to the school on a daily basis myself , don't apply as the school bus that operates from Wolverhampton is over subscribed with a huge waiting list and your not guaranteed a place:(...

/
Poker Face

Post by Poker Face »

The buses that are used for bringing the children to Adams' are really popular. At the open days parents are told that they cannot be guaranteed a seat on the buses for their child as the waiting lists do include boys from the current year 7 / 8 etc.. who are waiting for a space to become available and obviously they take priority .

However, there are families from Wolverhampton and different areas that get together and sort out their own transport ( you often see mini buses and large cars pulling up full of boys)
jym

Post by jym »

Poker Face wrote:The buses that are used for bringing the children to Adams' are really popular. At the open days parents are told that they cannot be guaranteed a seat on the buses for their child as the waiting lists do include boys from the current year 7 / 8 etc.. who are waiting for a space to become available and obviously they take priority .

However, there are families from Wolverhampton and different areas that get together and sort out their own transport ( you often see mini buses and large cars pulling up full of boys)
Thanks, I will probably reach out here for people who kow anyone one using such services. I did contact a private taxi firm who actually stated they had 20 calls today regarding the same question :)