Ssnair advice thread

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ssnair

Ssnair advice thread

Post by ssnair »

Hi ,I am new to this forum.We live in solihull and my daughter has got 210 for the 11+ exam this year.We have shared results with the warwickshire consortium as well.Is there any chance that she could get in Stratford girls school?I know her marks are below the cutoff score??Our next preference is the Alcester grammar school.If anyone can share their thoughts,it will be highly appreciated.Also,if she is going to go on a waiting list,then when do we find out the outcome of the waiting list.Thank you
hermanmunster

Re: Ssnair advice thread

Post by hermanmunster »

I have moved your post to a new thread so responses don't get lost in the thread about transport to Shropshire!

Have you seen the Warks figures for last year ? This year won't necessarily be the same as last year but give us a clue as to what will happen. Unfortunately 210 would not have got in on March 1st or, I think, waiting list but others will have an idea as to whether the scores will change this year.

have you looked at the schools in Solihull - you are fortunate that there are some good comprehensives there?
Update** from admissions letter (PAN / AQS / WL)

King Edward VI School 87 230 225+

Stratford Girls’ Grammar School 120 221 212+ ****NOTE as of 16th March the AQS has gone UP to 222 ****

Alcester Grammar School 150 214 208+ ****NOTE as of 16th March the AQS has gone UP to 215 ****

Lawrence Sheriff School 120 210 206+
Rugby High School 120 207 205+
Ashlawn Selective 31 213 207+

KES offered down to 229 (5 places).
SGGS and AGS didn't offer any under AQS.
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

ssnair wrote:Hi ,I am new to this forum.We live in solihull and my daughter has got 210 for the 11+ exam this year.We have shared results with the warwickshire consortium as well.Is there any chance that she could get in Stratford girls school?I know her marks are below the cutoff score??Our next preference is the Alcester grammar school.If anyone can share their thoughts,it will be highly appreciated.Also,if she is going to go on a waiting list,then when do we find out the outcome of the waiting list.Thank you
Unfortunately, 210 wont get Stratford Girls and I don't think will get AGS either. I believe the lowest score for AGS this year was 213.

However, saying that, you should still put them on your form, because strange things sometimes happen.

Solihull has 6 choices I believe so nothing to lose by putting the 2 schools on.
1- SGGS
2- AGS
3 - local comp
ssnair

Post by ssnair »

hi ,

Thanks for your prompt and honest response.We have put rugby school as an option.waiting for a pleasant surprise!!
How about rugby girls-is that an option?hoping to hear from you soon
shall keep posted in the group
Rugbymumto2

Post by Rugbymumto2 »

I assume you mean Rugby High School? Rugby School is the public school and costs a fortune!
I am not sure that 210 will be enough to get in on 1st March as the school has inner and outer catchment areas, those outside are not usually in the first round but some with very high scores have had offers that day if not enough in catchment are above the aqs.
There are posts from last year showing the offers on the Warwickshire section.
ssnair

Post by ssnair »

i meant rugby girls school.I was under the assumption that its a grammar school and last years AQS was 207,hence assumed that we might qualify?is that not the case?is it an independent school?
Rugbymumto2

Post by Rugbymumto2 »

Rugby High School is a grammar school (it is mainly girls but now has a mixed 6th form). Rugby School is a public fee paying school.

Yes you are correct the AQS was 207 however there are catchment areas where the children get priority, my DD is in year 8, that year the offers to out of area were 217 on offer day (inner area 210, outer 207), and there is not usually much movement in the waiting list. You will not be in the catchment as it is a 10 mile circle. There is nothing lost by listing the school but it will be a long shot to get in from where you live.
ssnair

Post by ssnair »

wow!!! u r a bag of information..thank you loads for the same..wasnt hoping to get through any of the grammar schools in march,but was hoping AGS, might get a little later in the year.
Must say,this forum has been very informative.just a shame didnt know about this during the exam preparation period.Thank you once again.
Rugbymumto2

Post by Rugbymumto2 »

No problem, if you are above AQS you will go on the waiting list for all the grammars. Hopefully you like the local comp? Travel to Rugby every day would be a drain, I used to do the reverse for work in Shirley and I don't miss it!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now