Bucks Selection Review - question about CAT4 scores

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Amyk

Bucks Selection Review - question about CAT4 scores

Post by Amyk »

Hi All,

I had a question about the Headmaster recommendation form for selection review, specifically Section 4 (Other prior academic attainment).

My DD got 120.5 and we were advised to go for selection review. The headmaster has completed their recommendation and given 1:1 for Grammar school suitability and attitude to learning and written a nice paragraph in support of their recommendation. She was included in the recommendation list prior to the 11+ exam.

In terms of her progress chart, she had 3's at KS1 and has been given working at a greater depth at end of Y3, 4 and 5 and predicted performance for KS2 is in the top bracket for all 3 areas (reading, writing, mathematics).

There were also a couple of circumstances that I informed the school about prior to the results so will be including those.

The question is about Section 4 of the Headmaster form. Under other prior academic attainment, the school has only given an end of Yr 4 CAT4 test result (a single figure of 127). There is no breakdown of test elements or further information. I am not sure what this means. My question is - is this sufficient? The form specifically states if including a test result for a test that has a battery of test elements then you must include all results.

Please could maybe one of the moderators, or other experienced users of this forum, provide their feedback and thoughts about whether I should request the school for more information to be included or whether this is sufficient? I am worried the panel will dismiss it due to it lacking detail.

Many thanks for your support.
Etienne

Re: Bucks Selection Review - question about CAT4 scores

Post by Etienne »

Welcome! :)
Amyk wrote:The question is about Section 4 of the Headmaster form. Under other prior academic attainment, the school has only given an end of Yr 4 CAT4 test result (a single figure of 127). There is no breakdown of test elements or further information. I am not sure what this means. My question is - is this sufficient? The form specifically states if including a test result for a test that has a battery of test elements then you must include all results.

Please could maybe one of the moderators, or other experienced users of this forum, provide their feedback and thoughts about whether I should request the school for more information to be included or whether this is sufficient? I am worried the panel will dismiss it due to it lacking detail.
I don't think it would matter too much. You'll still get the credit for a good overall score of 127. The only advantage of a breakdown is that it is sometimes interesting for the panel to see where any individual strengths/weaknesses were in VR, Q, NVR & spatial.

To save the head re-doing the form, try asking the school if you might possibly have a copy of the report that came with the CAT result. It runs to several pages and could be included with the rest of your paperwork. Otherwise, the head might be perfectly happy to change the review form.
If not, don't worry. I can't see the panel rejecting the overall score.
Etienne
Amyk

Post by Amyk »

Thank you Etienne! I was hoping for a reply from you :)

Sorry, just a final question. Based on the below information provided by the Head on the Recommendation form (1:1, progress chart scores, CAT4 score, and paragraph in support of the recommendation) - will this in of itself be considered sufficient evidence of academic ability by the panel, or should school reports, other examples etc be sent as supporting evidence?

I have read the FAQs and there are a number of examples of academic evidences listed but I don't know if I should go through and find those examples or if the Head recommendation form in of itself will be sufficient?

Many thanks again.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

will this in of itself be considered sufficient evidence of academic ability by the panel, or should school reports, other examples etc be sent as supporting evidence?
It's usually the content of the head's review summary sheet that really matters.

I think I would only include a school report for review purposes:
(a) if the rest of the evidence is thin, or
(b) if it reinforces or adds to the academic case, i.e. shows attainment that is significantly above the expected level in all core subjects. (Not worth including for effort, behaviour, contribution to school life.)

Good luck.
Etienne