2019 Ranking

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Kartikrom

2019 Ranking

Post by Kartikrom »

Below link may help you to see where your DC stands in terms of 11+ overall result

https://apps.warwickshire.gov.uk/api/do ... CC-699-941
Rooroo

Re: 2019 Ranking

Post by Rooroo »

Do Birmingham do this? I was told by a parent they know of a score of 292.
apillow

Post by apillow »

Do Birmingham do this? I was told by a parent they know of a score of 292
Not sure how true it is. I saw a list somewhere which was obrained by someone which showed the highest score as 279
Rooroo

Post by Rooroo »

apillow wrote:
Do Birmingham do this? I was told by a parent they know of a score of 292
Not sure how true it is. I saw a list somewhere which was obrained by someone which showed the highest score as 279
Yes I was under the impression the highest was 280 so just smiled and said wow well done.
kentish_man

Post by kentish_man »

That’s really useful.
Although there are probably 2,500 more kids who do Birmingham 11+, presumably you can make an equivalent calculation about what percentile each score sits at?

Kind of puts some of the impressive exam results the grammars get into perspective, when you realise what a small percentage of the very highest 11+ scorers they are admitting. There’s ve something seriously wrong if they weren’t getting mostly 8s and 9s.
And thats just from an already self selecting group of kids who have chosen to do the exam. If I’ve understood this graphic correctly, only about 6,000 out of the app 18,000 year 6 children take the test?
https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/download/ ... e_2016.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by kentish_man on Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
MSD

Post by MSD »

Rooroo wrote:Do Birmingham do this? I was told by a parent they know of a score of 292.
Warwickshire have given ranks for a while now. Birmingham unfortunately don’t - not even on FOI/Data Protection Act request.

292 in Birmingham is certainly feasible. I came across a child scoring 148 this year in VR alone.
MSD

Post by MSD »

kentish_man wrote:That’s really useful.
Although there are probably 2,500 more kids who do Birmingham 11+, presumably you can make an equivalent calculation about what percentile each score sits at?

Kind of puts some of the impressive exam results the grammars get into perspective, when you realise what a small percentage of the very highest 11+ scorers they are admitting. There’s ve something seriously wrong if they weren’t getting mostly 8s and 9s.
And thats just from an already self selecting group of kids who have chosen to do the exam. If I’ve understood this graphic correctly, only about 6,000 out of the app 18,000 year 6 children take the test?
https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/download/ ... e_2016.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Based on the SD score, you can roughly work out the percentile and rank anyway. In the below post, I used standard deviation of 15, which may be on the higher side looking at some of the recent stats. If you change it to 12.5, you will find the ranking will pretty much match what Warwickshire are showing in the link you provided.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 5&start=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kartikrom

Post by Kartikrom »

Warwickshire County Council is operating a shared 11+ test/entrance test with The Grammar Schools in Birmingham and I believe this ranking is for both area 11+ entrance test covering all students who took part.
MSD

Post by MSD »

Kartikrom,

Yes, it's correct they share the test with Birmingham but the ranking published will only take those childen into consideration who showed interest in Warwickshire schools and ticked the box at the time of filling application form. I remember us doing the same with DS2 in 2015, and receiving a ranking from Warwickshire but that was based on the cohort interested in that area.
kentish_man

Post by kentish_man »

One question that I’ve never managed to get a good answer to (or even a plausible sounding estimate to) is how many points difference the age standardisation makes either way?
Anybody have a decent idea on this?
So let’s say someone who was a July birth got a 247 score, how many fewer points do you think she would have scored if she was a December birth, or a September birth?
Is it 1 or 2 points difference, or 9 or 10? I have absolutely no idea.