Struggling with the maths help!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Slater25

Struggling with the maths help!!

Post by Slater25 »

Hi I’m new to this forum with my dd sitting the exam next September. She is working really hard and putting in at least half hour every night. However we are really struggling with the maths and just can’t get off the 8-9 cgp book. She does the 10 min test book with her tutor every week but only gets half of them right so are no where near being able to go to 9-10.

Her times tables are excellent and she is one of the fastest but we just seem to be missing some core skills.

Has anyone else found this with with their children at this stage and still come out with the decent result for the maths part in the end

Thanks
kenyancowgirl

Re: Struggling with the maths help!!

Post by kenyancowgirl »

So what is the tutor doing about it then? Surely not just ploughing on through 10 minute tests?!! Sounds like you might have the wrong tutor there - if a child is struggling and only getting half right, then, as you suspect, there is a gap in their knowledge somewhere and/or their hold on the times tables is not as secure as you imagine, when applying it to maths problems.

A decent tutor would be able to see patterns of where she is going wrong and revisit the basics - alternatively speak to her primary teacher and see if they have identified gaps. Is it that she does not understand the wordier maths problems, for example? Where she has to pick out and understand what maths they are asking her to do? CEM is full of those. Speed is great but speed and accuracy are essential.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I agree completely KCG.
The tutor should be identifying gaps and then planning work to address that.
School should be able to tell you where the gaps are too. Work together on those specific areas, it will help her in school work too.
Inner Chimp

Post by Inner Chimp »

It is difficult and I do sympathise, it can be demoralising for the child when they can’t score great. Perhaps try some books to build up the basic maths first such as scofield & simms, the problem I found with cgp is that the child has to have the maths knowledge first before they can tackle the worded problems. I wouldn’t expect “maths star” every time, that only came for us a few weeks before the exam!

I do agree with the tutor comments above too. Your DD needs to stay confident throughout and believe in herself so positive words to her even when she’s not doing great will all help.

Good luck
Slater25

Post by Slater25 »

Hi thanks yes she is already doing the Schofield and sims at school but is only on book 2 and still gets some of the wordier questions wrong
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Maybe look at some of my posts in the maths section on word problems?
Inner Chimp

Post by Inner Chimp »

Slater25 wrote:Hi thanks yes she is already doing the Schofield and sims at school but is only on book 2 and still gets some of the wordier questions wrong
Ate you timing her? Maybe that’s why she’s getting them wrong. Sometimes I found if they aren’t timed to begin with they don’t rush and make mistakes. That way you can work out whether it’s truly a knowledge gap or speed issue.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

How about doing them together?
Start off explaining each step as you are doing it, then ask her what you should do next, then build to her talking it all the way through.

As she is working through them see if there is a common “sticking point”

She is good at tables, can she also do them as divisions and out of order?
Reborn

Post by Reborn »

If the tutor is doing nothing apart from 10-minute tests, it is time to change tutors. When gaps are found, the topic should be revisited.

Regular gap analysis needs to be done and topics reinforced. Supplement by going through plenty of past paper questions.
MathsMonster

Post by MathsMonster »

Do entry tests for Schofield to see which book is most appropriate- they may be on wrong book- this is not uncommon.

https://www.schofieldandsims.co.uk/down ... test-a.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.schofieldandsims.co.uk/down ... test-b.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.schofieldandsims.co.uk/down ... g-keys.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.schofieldandsims.co.uk/down ... l-book.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

10 minutes maths every day on Schofield will do wonders- start with book 4 or 5 providing from the entry test they are capable. It will be hard to start with, so don’t rush them just let them do what they can in 10 minutes, it will soon build up if practised daily (weekdays- I’d give them a break at the weekend). You should see improvement after a few weeks, they could redo entry test after a month or so to see their improvement.

Good luck!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now