Ashlawn MFL. Aqs And percentile

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
FelixJ1

Ashlawn MFL. Aqs And percentile

Post by FelixJ1 »

Hey there

My daughter did the mfl this year and 11 plus. She got 422 in mfl and has a rank of 64 percentile. She got 205 in the 11+.

Can I ask can we start a rank score for mfl here? Also those with high scores that got really good 11+ scores could you put what the rank is, percentile ? And if you are going down the 11 plus route?

How many did mfl this year? Does anyone know? How do they work out the aqs? Do they take out the high scoring 11 plus children who are going to grammar schools and then work it out? I don’t think we will get rhs or ashlawn grammar on 205 so really hoping for mfl.

Thanks Jenny
guest201

Re: Ashlawn MFL. Aqs And percentile

Post by guest201 »

It is worth appealing to Ashlawn with that score, locally people say that they save 30 places for appeals. I know 2 boys who got in through this route as they both played on my son’s football team. Certainly worth a try, they didn’t have to prove extenuating circumstances, just show academic ability and have support from their primary school.
FelixJ1

Post by FelixJ1 »

Thanks so they set the aqs then the high scorer 11 + move out of equation, aqs drops but this is after offer day of 1 March? Is that how it works?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

No - the AQS does not change (*it did change for two schools last year due to an error in the offer process but that is an exception!).

The AQS is set once applications are in and ready for 1st March. Warwickshire schools then issue the AQS and the minimum waiting list score - this is usually about 5 points below the AQS (which is generally set at around the level of the person ranked at the school's PAN, give or take a few) - experience tells them where to set the minimum waiting list level (knowing how much the waiting list usally moves) and is the minimum that the school feels a child needs to get to be able to "cope". If you get below the minimum waiting list score, it means, effectively, you are not on the waiting list, as they do not expect to offer below that score.
FelixJ1

Post by FelixJ1 »

Thanks, so I guess we have no chance as 64 percentile around 150 ish kids above us, I guess we won’t put it down then as we are 2 points lower than last years aqs. Feel sad
FelixJ1

Post by FelixJ1 »

Thanks, so I guess we have no chance as 64 percentile around 150 ish kids above us, I guess we won’t put it down then as we are 2 points lower than last years aqs. Feel sad
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

If you have space on your CAF and it is the school you would like best of all, then I would absolutely put it down in 1st place - if you do not meet the criteria, your second choice will be looked at as if it was your first choice, and so on, until the council can offer you the highest listed school (by you) - you lose nothing by listing it (except a space on your CAF)) and, if by a quirk the AQS is the same or lower, you may get an offer from the waiting list. Remember that the 150 ish (from your figures) kids above you may want different schools - some may want single sex, some may have applied to another area or independent - do not asume they all want the school you do. Yes, it may be a long shot but not applying means there is no shot. Just make sure you have a realistic safe school on your CAF and big it up to your child - remember waiting lists are maintained until December of 2019.
FelixJ1

Post by FelixJ1 »

Thank you that’s really helpful. I am assuming that aqs to be loads higher then 424 this year, but like you say give it a shot
Vicksteroo

Post by Vicksteroo »

FelixJ1 wrote:Thanks, so I guess we have no chance as 64 percentile around 150 ish kids above us, I guess we won’t put it down then as we are 2 points lower than last years aqs. Feel sad
We are one of the families where a high MFL score is now irrelevant as the 11+ score was high enough for selective entry. So that's one less to worry about! Do put it down as 1st choice if it's where you really want your child to go, you've nothing to lose by doing so.
Centralperk

Post by Centralperk »

I know of two others who scored over the 95th percentile and won’t be taking their places. I would put it as your first choice.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now